Have they accepted liability?

Options
I purchased a smoked salmon salad from M&S Food in November. It unfortunately contained a small pebble like stone of glass. I rang the customer service line and they told me to take it to any store and report it. I went through the whole complaint process and received a refund (as this is standard procedure). I have today been told that it could only of come from a domestic source (which I was assured was not an accusation that I had put glass in the salad) and that I would receive the report in the post in the next few days and with their conclusion to the matter.

Have they accepted that they are liable by offering a refund?
Should i take further action? I havent suffered any physical damage fortunately, and im not trying to make M&S a scapegoat, I just feel that I have been overlooked.

Comments

• shikoku
    shikoku Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    Based on my own recent experience with them, I strongly suspect they will continue to ignore you unless you ratchet up the pressure by going to the relevant regulator, in this case the Environmental Health Department.

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforceessential/yourarea/
    ~*~ If you don't need it, it isn't a bargain ~*~
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thelyar wrote: »
    I purchased a smoked salmon salad from M&S Food in November. It unfortunately contained a small pebble like stone of glass. I rang the customer service line and they told me to take it to any store and report it. I went through the whole complaint process and received a refund (as this is standard procedure). I have today been told that it could only of come from a domestic source (which I was assured was not an accusation that I had put glass in the salad) and that I would receive the report in the post in the next few days and with their conclusion to the matter.

Have they accepted that they are liable by offering a refund?
    Should i take further action? I havent suffered any physical damage fortunately, and im not trying to make M&S a scapegoat, I just feel that I have been overlooked.

What are you expecting?

They've refunded your money, you've suffered no injury, and they have sent a report. They have been unable to ascertain where the pebble came from. So what are they liable for?

In the scheme of things ..............
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do you think you have been overlooked, you havent, they sent you a report, end of.

Move on OP, why are you mithering about this,
    youve had your refund, what more do you expect?

If you feel so inclined vote with your feet and shop elsewhere.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • thelyar
    thelyar Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2011 at 11:47AM
    Options
    Lady Dee,

I was told by the staff member instore that she received £50 in vouchers as "compensation" for finding a small chicken bone in her sandwich. She also suffered no injury.

I did omit from my original message that I should have recieved my response within 4 weeks, which is now over 4 weeks ago.

I spend a significant part of my income with M&S.

I was asking for advice, not for you to voice your sarcastic opinion on the situation. A simple "i don't believe you can take it any further" would have suffice.
  • thelyar
    edited 28 January 2011 at 11:47AM
    Options
    McKneff, I'm not dithering on anything, I only remembered I hadn't received a response, as my partner reminded me yesterday.

You will see from my last response, the comment about a staff member.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lady Dee,

I was told by the staff member instore that she received £50 in vouchers as "compensation" for finding a small chicken bone in her sandwich. She also suffered no injury.

I did omit from my original message that I should have recieved my response within 4 weeks, which is now over 4 weeks ago.

I spend a significant part of my income with M&S.

I was asking for advice, not for you to voice your sarcastic opinion on the situation. A simple "i don't believe you can take it any further" would have suffice.

I didn't think I was sarcastic - I asked you what you wanted. So really what you want is money?

You asked for opinions, I gave you mine.
  • thelyar
    Options
    What I want is to be treated fairly. If M&S can give a staff member (who was very open about her situation and "compensation") £50 for a small chicken bone, why can a customer not be treated the same?

I asked for advice, not opinions.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What I want is to be treated fairly. If M&S can give a staff member (who was very open about her situation and "compensation") £50 for a small chicken bone, why can a customer not be treated the same?

I asked for advice, not opinions.

my advice is to get a solicitor and sue for 100,000,000 dollars!
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Demand compensation!
    Write to your MP!

Involve the International Court of Justice in The Hague.

You MUST NOT let the matter rest.

Or feel free to get a life.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if it was a diamond and not a piece of glass would you have spoken to m&s? think of it as a freebie, i love gettin freebies with my food
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure