FlyBE voted Best Short-Haul Airline 2011? Who are they trying to kid?

Options
I've had to remove the link as I can't post them, but it's on the BBC..

:mad:

So, this airline, with it's totally untransparent pricing policy (low headline prices but HIGH taxes/charges), who charge at every turn while we booking (whilst parading themselves as a "budget" airline - what's 'budget' about charging £400+ return per person from Aberdeen to Newquay??) are the best we've got?

:rotfl:

It's funny how, from June, when Easyjet start a rival flight to London Gatwick from here in Aberdeen, their prices have tumbled to levels previously unknown, isn't it?

Having flown with them for business purposes, I was inundated with "Special Offer" emails from them, which NEVER covered any airports except their hubs of Exeter and Southampton.. when I questioned them about this via email (and waited 4 weeks for a reply) all I got was 6 lines of corporate spiel...

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    already voted best for 2011 and where not even through Jan
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It figures, just like Santander were voted best bank last year!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2011 at 12:32AM
    Options
    No problem with them. They serve more domestic routes and are more accessible to a bigger proportion of the population than anyone else.

Their charging "at every turn" is actually optional additional extras that are comparable to the airlines they compete with. Their aircraft allow them to serve regional routes that otherwise wouldn't be there (routes that easyjet or Ryanair could never make work on 737s or A319s).

Their pricing is sustainable. I generally find they are not rock bottom prices, however they are usually reasonable prices that reflect the cost of the services they provide. They must be doing something right, they have ordered a shedload of new jets and managed to turn loss making BA Regional into a succesful operation for themselves.

Comparing Aberdeen - Newquay is very convinient seeing as they are both remote (in terms of aviation) and expensive airports to operate from. ABZ is hardly a wash with Ryanair, easyJet and Jet2 now is it!
  • North_Scot_Shot
    Options
    bagand96 wrote: »
    No problem with them. They serve more domestic routes and are more accessible to a bigger proportion of the population than anyone else.

Their charging "at every turn" is actually optional additional extras that are comparable to the airlines they compete with. Their aircraft allow them to serve regional routes that otherwise wouldn't be there (routes that easyjet or Ryanair could never make work on 737s or A319s).

Their pricing is sustainable. I generally find they are not rock bottom prices, however they are usually reasonable prices that reflect the cost of the services they provide. They must be doing something right, they have ordered a shedload of new jets and managed to turn loss making BA Regional into a succesful operation for themselves.

Comparing Aberdeen - Newquay is very convinient seeing as they are both remote (in terms of aviation) and expensive airports to operate from. ABZ is hardly a wash with Ryanair, easyJet and Jet2 now is it!

Easyjet make London Luton flights with 737's work from here!! Why have Flybe's prices tumbled from June when Easyjet start competing with them on the Gatwick route then. It's often cheaper to fly BA or BMI to Heathrow and take public transport to the Gatwick area than fly direct at present!!

My point is that their special offers don't cover ALL the airports they work from, usually only their two hubs, and even when they offer cheap or free flights, the "taxes, charges, etc" go up proportionately..
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    A nice balanced viewpoint from bagand96.

OP, who do you suggest should have won the award?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Pelican_eats_pigeon Posts: 783 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2011 at 5:59PM
    Options
    I'm not the OP but Air Berlin are the obvious contender for best shorthaul product. Norwegian should also be a contender.
  • daffod1ll
    Options
    Flybe's website makes it almost impossible to buy tickets without getting travel insurance and seats. Its been 18 months since I last used it, and is now very confusing to use.

It used to take a few minutes to book tickets online, now it takes >20 minutes trying to workout how to avoid their travel insurance and pre-allocated seats.

with the seat allocation - there isn't an obvious opt out option, so you get stuck on that page, trying different options to avoid the seat allocation and additional charge.

This really is very unfair for the customer, and very misleading. I won't be using it again.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    daffod1ll wrote: »
    Flybe's website makes it almost impossible to buy tickets without getting travel insurance and seats. Its been 18 months since I last used it, and is now very confusing to use.

It used to take a few minutes to book tickets online, now it takes >20 minutes trying to workout how to avoid their travel insurance and pre-allocated seats.

with the seat allocation - there isn't an obvious opt out option, so you get stuck on that page, trying different options to avoid the seat allocation and additional charge.

This really is very unfair for the customer, and very misleading. I won't be using it again.

A dummy booking, where I would have paid the price quoted to me on the first page, just took me two and a half minutes. If it really took you twenty minutes, perhaps you should use a conventional travel agent?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    daffod1ll wrote: »

You simply press Continue which then offers the choice of Continue without seats of Accept seats - not at all difficult.

Not taking insurance is a matter of unticking the Purchase full insurance box beside the box to enter passenger details - again obvious.

The website now quotes the total price of each leg and not a headline lower price whcih then adds taxes.

They are much the same as Easyjet, Ryanair etc in trying to get you to add on the etxras - don't take them if that's not what you want.

I use Flybe often to book flights between Birmingham & Glasgow - only airline that operates that route.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    They provide a service at the "highest price" they can get away with. Thats what all businesses do. If they get competition, then obviously they will have to review either the level of service, the price or even both.
    You should be pleased that you will be getting more choice.You can be sure, that if Flybe were to pull out of Aberdeen then Easyjet, BA and BMI etc would up their prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure