Cheap New Years Eve Suggestions please?

Options

Comments

• Trying_really_hard
    Options
    dlb wrote:
    We i know for one chesterfield town center is the last place i will be NYE or any other night for that matter!!!! LOL op will know what i mean!

Yes, Chesterfield town centre is not the nicest place to be late at night. LOL!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the suggestions. The games night sounds like a good thing (this will need to be carefully suggested as BF won't play Scrabble after the trouncing he had last time. Hehe) Plus, my rents bought me Pictionary Mania last year and we all know how much fun watching people who can't draw play pictionary can be!!

No, you're not alone is not getting the NYE thing. My BF always says it "just another night" and can't understand why I want to do something. Oh well. Another two months to bring him round to the idea.
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We get together with 2 other couples and their kids so there are 6 adults and 6 kids now ranging from 5 - 11 yrs. The host family always make the main course and the other 2 bring pud, starter, cheese, whatever we want! Everyone brings wine, champagne and bedding and we have a really relaxing evening in with the kids and good friends. Unfortunately it will probably just be one family with us this year, as we are being desserted by the others who are going to Cornwall...we will miss them!
  • Ems!
    Ems! Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Agree the bring your own party is v good idea, we are hopefully doing that this year.

What i have done in the past and would do again is go bowling!! Sounds a bit weird but was great fun . You don't get the crowds that you get in bars, but everyone is having a good time/ getting nicely merry, i think when we did it a couple of years ago it was abt £20 pp but that included a drink or 2, "champagne" at midnight and as many games of bowling as you wanted.
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Get your neighbours / friends round, get them all to bring a drink and a plate of food, get them to bring music they want and sit back, relax and enjoy. Minimal planning required, minimal stress, lots of fun.
    That's Numberwang!
  • HomeJames_3
    Options
    I m working!! Have done for the last few years. We make a couple of phonecalls to the family at midnight but tend just to go to bed (boring eh)
    Official DFW nerd 206 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    £2 savers club joined 25/6/06 £54:dance: (0ver £1200 banked)
    LB moment June 06 Debt payed off so far £36000 DFD March 2010:eek:
    Reclaimed fees
    MBNA £302 RBOS £49.58 Mint £25.95
    PPI: A&L £2074 Freemans £770 MBNA £944:j
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    HomeJames wrote:
    I m working!! Have done for the last few years. We make a couple of phonecalls to the family at midnight but tend just to go to bed (boring eh)

Sometimes I think that's the best way to go. Saves hassle in some respects. However, I am trying to do something nice this year. I'm going on a hunt later for my board games. :j
  • HomeJames_3
    Options
    Sometimes I think that's the best way to go. Saves hassle in some respects. However, I am trying to do something nice this year. I'm going on a hunt later for my board games. :j

Why not try a traditional scottish hogmany gathering put on a big pot of stovie or home made soup get everyone to bring a bottle (traditional first foot (should be coal but unless youve got a coal fire the drink will come in more handy) get the old record player blasting out some scottish reels and have a laugh!
    Official DFW nerd 206 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    £2 savers club joined 25/6/06 £54:dance: (0ver £1200 banked)
    LB moment June 06 Debt payed off so far £36000 DFD March 2010:eek:
    Reclaimed fees
    MBNA £302 RBOS £49.58 Mint £25.95
    PPI: A&L £2074 Freemans £770 MBNA £944:j
  • HopeElizzy
    Options
    We usually host a murder mystery night. You can usually get a game cheaply off ebay and we get our friends to contribute a course for dinner. Each couple brings a starter/main/pud or contributes to the drinks and nibbles. Last year we had a circus themed murder - it was so funny, especially the snake charming bearded lady!!!
    We have 2 small children so we usually host the party so we don't have to worry about babysitters. We aren't a rowdy lot so we don't usually wake the littlies.
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    HopeElizzy wrote:
    We usually host a murder mystery night. You can usually get a game cheaply off ebay and we get our friends to contribute a course for dinner. Each couple brings a starter/main/pud or contributes to the drinks and nibbles. Last year we had a circus themed murder - it was so funny, especially the snake charming bearded lady!!!

oooooo, this sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do a Murder Mystery and didn't realise you could actually buy the games. I thought it had to be organised at great cost at a remote stately hall.

Will look into this. Thank you. :beer:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooooo, this sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do a Murder Mystery and didn't realise you could actually buy the games. I thought it had to be organised at great cost at a remote stately hall.

Will look into this. Thank you. :beer:

You can buy murder mystery kits in WH Smiths & other places, we have used them & they are pretty good but usually take a fair few hours to get through, longer the more drunk you get:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure