Cheap New Years Eve Suggestions please?

Options
It hit me today that I do not have ANY idea what I am going to do for New Years eve. BF is being little use except making the comment "we can't afford it". :mad:

I know we can't really, but I'd like to hear what other people are doing.

I don't have a big family and many of my friends have moved away in the last few months so I'm stuck. :confused:

PS - sorry to be thinking post-christmas already but if I can think of something then I'd need to get planning. Plus, I need to start gently planting the idea in BF's head. :p

It goes without saying that it needs to be in a MSE vein.
How long til pay day? :eek:
March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We're doing what we did last year - Invited some friends - some near - some far and asked them to bring a pud/nibbles/drink and a duvet. We made a huge vat of chilli, some jacket spuds and played silly games all evening, everyone stayed over and we all mucked in, in the morning to make breakfast.

One of our friends (a hair dresser) even managed to cut 4 kids and 3 adults hair before going home! :D

Was a lovely cheap and cheerful evening, with everyone bringing their own duvets and pillows, all I had to do was chuck a few inflatable mattresses down so not to much hard work.

We were all as broke as each other and still managed to see the new year in, in style. They've all elected to come back this year as they had such a nice time, even got people travelling over from Germany this time.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    Going to a friends, who is getting a marquee type thing, all take food and drink, stay over if we want too or walk home, adults and kids are all going.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't go anywhere, haven't for years, used to be a DJ and worked every New Year then when we had the children DP started working New Years Eve night. So no babysitter = night in for me aswell. I don't let the children see people drunk so wouldn't dream of taking them to a party.

If you're skint try a bring your own party :) sure many in same situation who dread standing in a queue to get served in their local because of once a year drinkers will be more than willing to join you.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    lil_me wrote:
    If you're skint try a bring your own party :) sure many in same situation who dread standing in a queue to get served in their local because of once a year drinkers will be more than willing to join you.

I must agree wholeheartedly with you on this!! I hate going out usually and the one time I did dare to venture out on New Years Eve was no fun at all (mainly cos my friend was plastered and I was sober).
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • Molanole
    Molanole Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I like the ideas of a bring your own party. Too many NYE's are spent in overpriced, crowded venues where you know too few people and have to pay one off entry fees just for that night. The best NYE's for me have always been when it's been planned as a low key evening with friends at someone's house. What you end up doing that evening then doesn't matter as you are sharing it with people you actually want to share it with.

Half the time people feel obliged to go out and "enjoy themselves" because they don't know what else to do. If you provide them with a cheap alternative, already fixed as a plan then I'm sure your friends and family will be more than happy to come along. It's often that people just want someone else to come up with a plan for them!! Plus if you give them a "bring a sleeping bag option" their worries about how to get home will be lessened.

Not sure what happens in Chesterfield but sometimes its nice to go outside for the 12 midnight thing, near a big clock in a town centre or something where you can share in the countdown. You could take nice thermal flask mug thingys of your own mulled wine (normally quite reasonable in shops these days) and few sparklers for the kids (if you have them) so that you feel you've celebrated appropriately. That way you're not out all evening. You can get home before the horrible post midnight drunkeness really kicks in and not feel too horrible on the first day of the new year.
    Debt Free Nerd No. 89, LBM: April 2006, Debt at highest (Sept 05): £40,939.96
    NOW TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!!!!! Woooo hooooooo!!! DEBT FREE DATE: 23 December 2009
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely I can't be alone in not being fussed about NYE?:confused: In the past I have been to private parties which have been fun, my parents always used to hold big NYE parties for their friends...about 30 people in all with dad playing DJ on the home stereo & mum producing a buffet to feed a hundred! Everyone was respectful, most people got merry but not blind drunk & the neighbours joined us so no need to worry about the noise. But it's rare these days that anyone has the space or wants to do the catering & our neighbours would throw a fit about the noise & teh parking if we were to have a party! (and they're younger than we are, and we're only early 30's) Maybe we don't do it because you really can't 100% trust even good friends not to binge drink & be sick on the carpet?:eek: Been to a couple of posh dinenr parties on NYE which were great, always good in posh areas as teh multi natioanl residents seem to celebrate NY in their hoem time zone so fireworks going off every hour virtually.

Must admit I have never been to a paying venue on NYE & I wouldn't want to. Que-ing in the cold to be squashed into a crowded smokey room with someone elses taste in music & having to wait 20 minutes everytime you want a drink or to go to the loo, surrounded by a bunch of strangers who can be abusive if you accidently bump into them in the crush.....No thank you! This year iit will either be a normal night in for us & go to bed at normal time, or if our neighbours are free we might get together with them for a nice dinner & drinnks. We both have toddlers so it's doubly hard to do anything, even if we wanted to!

Crikey, I'm a miserable old bag at 31 aren't I!!!:eek::eek::eek::rotfl:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • embb
    embb Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    Options
    I don't do New Year I always go to bed :D Anyhoo if I was to do it I'd just get a few nibbles in and tell everyone to bring a bottle
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    We i know for one chesterfield town center is the last place i will be NYE or any other night for that matter!!!! LOL op will know what i mean!

We have all our friends round play games, everyone brings food and drink and just have fun! Cheap and cheerful!
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • Nyla1979
    Nyla1979 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    Well we always tend to stay in and have done for the last 6 years since having our two kids! We always get a film, some bubbly and a take away and some snacks, friends and family drop in to have a drink with us and then we toast the new year and head off to bed!
    " Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start now and make a brand new ending. "
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    We always used to go out with friends when we were younger, then as we started to settle down it was parties at each other's houses. Since having kids the last few years have consisted of my wife and me sharing a bottle fo wine and playing scrabble! The kids are a little older now so this year we're planning to have a small party for a few friends and their children. We'll put out a few snacks and everyone will bring a bottle, anyone who wants to can bring a sleeping bag and stop the night.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business