De'Longhi SC85 Catalytic Portable Heater

Hi all

I use a calor gas heater in my workshed and over Christmas it decided to die on me - the pilot light won't stay lit, I think there may be a blockage somewhere. I've taken it for service/repair but have also been looking out for a replacement just in case. The above fire is for sale on Ebay and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea - apparently it produces less carbon monoxide which can only be a good thing. However, what I'm not sure about and can't find a definitive answer anywhere is what type of heat it produces. I want instant heat, as I get from the conventional radiant fire, not radiator type background heating which would need to be on for a while, and I can't work out whether this would suit my purpose. Does anyone have experience of one of these or more knowledge than me on how they work? Calor gas link is http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/de-longhi-sc85-catalytic.htm

Many thanks
I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!

Replies

• Anyone able to help?
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
  • bobhawkebobhawke Forumite
    359 Posts
    Sit a metre away from it and you will get instant heat from it until it heats up the room, then you can put it on a lower setting so it maintains the heat in the room.
  • AnthonyUKAnthonyUK Forumite
    479 Posts
    Hi all

I use a calor gas heater in my workshed and over Christmas it decided to die on me - the pilot light won't stay lit, I think there may be a blockage somewhere. I've taken it for service/repair but have also been looking out for a replacement just in case. The above fire is for sale on Ebay and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea - apparently it produces less carbon monoxide which can only be a good thing. However, what I'm not sure about and can't find a definitive answer anywhere is what type of heat it produces. I want instant heat, as I get from the conventional radiant fire, not radiator type background heating which would need to be on for a while, and I can't work out whether this would suit my purpose. Does anyone have experience of one of these or more knowledge than me on how they work? Calor gas link is http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/de-longhi-sc85-catalytic.htm

Many thanks

Catalytic heaters are safer too because there isn't a flame or visible infrared radiant heat
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Mini-budget 2022: what does it mean for you?

Tax cuts and Universal Credit changes

MSE News

Income tax calculator

Updated with November NI changes

MSE Tool