MSE News: Rents fell in December but expected to climb again

edited 21 January 2011 at 11:44AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
3 replies 952 views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 21 January 2011 at 11:44AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The average rent fell by 1.2% during the month, dropping to £684 from the record high it reached in November ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• tbs624tbs624 Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Isn't this a bit of a "non story" ?

LLs with vacant properties will often reduce the first month's rent to entice a new T in and make sure that voids are kept to a minimum. December is notoriously slow for re-lets and we also had the extreme weather across the country.

As for rent rises, experienced LLs know that it's far better to retain a reliable T for a longer period, even if that means forgoing annual rent increment.s

Probably of more interest are the accounts of increased rent arrears, a situation which is likely to worsen as unemployment rises and LHA cuts are brought in.
  • i agree tbs624 hardly anyone moves in December, so i can imagine l/l dropping rent slightly to confirm a tenancy during december. Shot back up in jan though, when every one starts moving again.
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • corbyboycorbyboy Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    tbs624 wrote: »
    Isn't this a bit of a "non story" ?

Agree with this.

I like the bit that says this reduction "is the first one since January last year." That is, this happens every year.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support