MSE News: Rents fell in December but expected to climb again

edited 21 January 2011 at 11:44AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
3 replies 950 views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 21 January 2011 at 11:44AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The average rent fell by 1.2% during the month, dropping to £684 from the record high it reached in November ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• tbs624tbs624 Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this a bit of a "non story" ?

LLs with vacant properties will often reduce the first month's rent to entice a new T in and make sure that voids are kept to a minimum. December is notoriously slow for re-lets and we also had the extreme weather across the country.

As for rent rises, experienced LLs know that it's far better to retain a reliable T for a longer period, even if that means forgoing annual rent increment.s

Probably of more interest are the accounts of increased rent arrears, a situation which is likely to worsen as unemployment rises and LHA cuts are brought in.
  • i agree tbs624 hardly anyone moves in December, so i can imagine l/l dropping rent slightly to confirm a tenancy during december. Shot back up in jan though, when every one starts moving again.
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • corbyboycorbyboy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    tbs624 wrote: »
    Isn't this a bit of a "non story" ?

Agree with this.

I like the bit that says this reduction "is the first one since January last year." That is, this happens every year.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals