MSE News: Ryanair threat for passengers without online boarding pass

Options

Comments

• jayok
    jayok Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    In a very limited case it can be argued although that fee is entirely and easily avoidable. We either revert back to having all inclusive prices which means much larger prices for everyone or we have a 'pay as you go' arranagement as now. I much prefer the latter.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    A valid point but isn't having to print out the airline's own paperwork and pay £40 (the entire cost of a printer these days) for not doing so a retrograde step for the consumer?

You don't do both though - the customer has a choice. I thought consumer choice was supposed to be a positive thing?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • danothy
    danothy Posts: 2,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2011 at 8:51PM
    Options
    A valid point but isn't having to print out the airline's own paperwork and pay £40 (the entire cost of a printer these days) for not doing so a retrograde step for the consumer?

While you're right that it's not great to be stung with a £40 fee if you don't print off your boarding pass the alternatives tabled by Ryanair in the light of being told they can't charge it (in Spain) are less palatable, as they involve increased costs for the consumer that are unavoidable (either through rebooking costs or wholesale price increases) or a legal framework for the charge in question to be considered legal and fair and (potentially) increased as they see fit.

I think what I'm trying to say is that if this all plays out as the cynics (a group of which I am a proud member) fear it will then it appears that there are only steps backwards to be taken. In trying to do good the Spanish legal system may have ruined it for all of us. It seems that no good deed goes unpunished.
    If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    danothy wrote: »
    In trying to do good the Spanish legal system may have ruined it for all of us.

I hardly think that losing out on a handful of £40 charges (or to quote the Ryanair spokesman ''a tiny number'') could reasonably be expected ''ruin it for all of us''.
  • danothy
    edited 20 January 2011 at 10:33PM
    Options
    I hardly think that losing out on a handful of £40 charges (or to quote the Ryanair spokesman ''a tiny number'') could reasonably be expected ''ruin it for all of us''.

Why is it a big enough deal for Ryanair to consider pulling the facility all together then (with all the negative effects that will have)? I just don't think the toothpaste is going back in the tube over this.

But yes, I do acknowledge my hyperbole.
    If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.
  • jayok
    Options

Ryanairs strategy is to remove any need for a presence at most airports (whether staff or contract). If they need to provide staff they make sure that the people who call on them will pay for them. This is the reason you have such a high charge for the hold baggage and printing boarding passes. If Ryanair is not allowed to charge for the boarding passes, it is rational to think that the requirement will go up and they may need more staff. They will either load it all onto the hold luggage charge or onto the ticket price for everyone.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    I don't understand why ANYBODY would choose RyanAir.

simples

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • jayok
    Options

simples

GG

Sigh

To let you understand, even though I am sure you know this, Ryanair do specials where they absorb the tax and airport charges. In the last year I have flown Prestwick to Dublin for the following all inclusive (with 10kg hand luggage)

February 2010: £6 return
    March 2010: £16 return
    May 2010: £8 return
    July 2010: £16 return
    October 2010: £24 return

Now, you tell me, why would ANYBODY choose Ryanair?
  • danothy
    Options

simples

GG

I chose them because they were cheap, and I probably would again despite being affronted by the experience so long as they remain the cheap option.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Each to their own.

As much as I like a bargain, I don't mind paying a fair price for a fare. If the plane crashes I'd like to think it wasn't my penny pinching and love of a bargain that pressurised the airline into putting my life at risk.

I don't eat in cheap restaurants because I hope that my chef is well paid.

And I don't like the owner of Ryanair.

And I don't buy Murdoch's papers.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure