We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cash for Iphone??

I'm going to get an Iphone 4 and want to sell my 3GS. Has any one used on one of these 'cash for for phones', web sites?

Read a few reviews and seen some horror stories about the companies claiming damage and reducing the amount payable. If they cant be trusted, I'll stick it on eBay.

Thanks

Comments

  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    All these places have issues, Personally I've used fonebank twice without issues but others will have issues with them.

    There are FEEDBACK posts on this site each recycler, read each one and decide for yourself. End of the day it may be better to take a lesser amount from one of these companies than the hassle and risk of chargeback on Ebay, but only you can decide that.

    Look at completed ebay items take off 10% for the ebay /paypal fee's and see if the extra cash is worth the hassle over the recycling companies.
  • I did read the reviews, but could not see any for an Iphone. My concern is the value. If they start messing around when their only looking to give you £50, what happens when it's £200?

    I agree, ebay is not that convenient, but at least your in control, and are pretty much guaranteed to get paid
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have just used Mazuma mobile - they quoted me £210.

    I sent phone away Monday special delivery - received 3 emails today to say that they had received the phone, that they were processing my order, and that they had paid the money into my account. Easy peasy!


    Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • I've read horror stories about most of the more well known ones. I think you can also do it in O2 stores, where they will give you a valuation then send it off to be 'confirmed' The good thing here is that they can't turn round and say the screen was smashed or it doesn't work if it did do in the shop.

    There are also dangers to eBay, and I've read about people getting stuff by refunds automatically issued by Paypal.

    To help cover yourself, I'd take a lot of pictures of it before you send it off, put a newspaper from the day in one or two of the pictures with the date showing. Package it very carefully (bubble wrapped a few times should suffice), mark it fragile etc, and send special delivery.
  • I use Mazuma as they are local to me and I just drop the phone in, if it's there by lunchtime, I have funds in my bank by early evening....1st class in my experience.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.