We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Mobile Contract Help
Hi
Im going to Australia in 3 weeks for a year only slight problem is I have an mobile contract with tmobile which doesnt run out until may 2012!! I phoned the company to ask how much calls and texting would cost as I was fully prepared to take it with me but they told me that all calls and texts would be fresh charges on top of my monthly line rental (£35) so as you can imagine put me off straight away!! I then asked what my options were regarding ending the contract basically there are only 2 options I can either buy out my contract for £392 (quite expensive when im saving for a year in Australia!!) or hand over the contract to someone (all my friends and family already have contracts so dont want to be tying themselves down with another one and a battered old phone til may next year!!) Its not even possible to decrease the tarriff not until the month before my contract is up anyway.
If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Kim
Im going to Australia in 3 weeks for a year only slight problem is I have an mobile contract with tmobile which doesnt run out until may 2012!! I phoned the company to ask how much calls and texting would cost as I was fully prepared to take it with me but they told me that all calls and texts would be fresh charges on top of my monthly line rental (£35) so as you can imagine put me off straight away!! I then asked what my options were regarding ending the contract basically there are only 2 options I can either buy out my contract for £392 (quite expensive when im saving for a year in Australia!!) or hand over the contract to someone (all my friends and family already have contracts so dont want to be tying themselves down with another one and a battered old phone til may next year!!) Its not even possible to decrease the tarriff not until the month before my contract is up anyway.
If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Kim
0
Comments
-
You could sell the phone and put it towards the line rental but I'm afraid they're your only options.Have I helped? Feel free to click the 'Thanks' button. I like to feel useful (and smug).
0 -
-
You've agreed to a contract and are legally bound by it, the two options they've given you are about it, sorry.
If you just go and ignore the problem by the time you get back your credit file will have been trashed (and for the following 5 years) and collection agents will have been knocking on the door of any address they can find for you. . .0 -
Even if you sell the phone and contract there's no guarantee that T-Mobile will approve the contract's transfer.0
-
Another shining example of why people should buy their own phones and go sim-only. Circumstances change in any 2-year period, but still people can't resist the lure of a "free" shiny new telephone and go rushing in like lemmings to find themselves in a predicament where down the line they either can't use the service except at extortionate costs, or they lose their jobs and find the reduced money available has to go on priority items.
Been reading this forum for some time and not really seen any common way out of your problem. Sorry.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
