We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
No income so mobile bill has taken a back seat!!
rhapsody_princess
Posts: 217 Forumite
in Mobiles
Hello
I have had my iphone on a 24 month contract since Nov 09. I had always paid by direct debit and had no problems until i lost my job. This obviously was a shock and i had other more important debts to be paid and shamefully i buried my head regarding the orange bill. I have now a £134.71 outstanding debt on this account and i have completely been disconnected from the account.
The question i would like to ask is would i be able to lower the monthly contract plan as low as possible to give me a chance to pay off the outstanding debt? Or would i need to pay off whats left before they lower the monthly payment? I know i could just phone and ask but if anyone has been helped by orange in the past i would like to know what to ask for when ringing.
Thankfully i have found another job and starting very soon and although the interest has frozen on my other accounts and i seem to be getting on top of things this one just seems to still creep up obviously because of the monthly contract.
Thanks in advance and i don't mind you having a rant at me about the way i've dealt with this
I have had my iphone on a 24 month contract since Nov 09. I had always paid by direct debit and had no problems until i lost my job. This obviously was a shock and i had other more important debts to be paid and shamefully i buried my head regarding the orange bill. I have now a £134.71 outstanding debt on this account and i have completely been disconnected from the account.
The question i would like to ask is would i be able to lower the monthly contract plan as low as possible to give me a chance to pay off the outstanding debt? Or would i need to pay off whats left before they lower the monthly payment? I know i could just phone and ask but if anyone has been helped by orange in the past i would like to know what to ask for when ringing.
Thankfully i have found another job and starting very soon and although the interest has frozen on my other accounts and i seem to be getting on top of things this one just seems to still creep up obviously because of the monthly contract.
Thanks in advance and i don't mind you having a rant at me about the way i've dealt with this
0
Comments
-
You seem suprised that having completely ceased paying Orange for a service (and therefore breached your contract with them), they have withdrawn the service from you??:cool:0
-
You seem suprised that having completely ceased paying Orange for a service (and therefore breached your contract with them), they have withdrawn the service from you??:cool:
I don't think she seems surprised. If anything she's accepted it's her own conduct which has led to the disconnection.:cool:
Anyway, if I were you, I'd work out when the earliest you could bring the account up to date would be and promise to do this. I doubt they'd reduce the contract while it's in arrears so just concentrate on getting the account up to date.
All the best with it and congrats on the new job.0 -
They won't reduce anything while you're in default. Once you can pay it off they may be able to do something.
No use now, but its always better to talk to the billing team when you know you've a problem, they might have been able to sort something out that would have meant you not being cut off.
You've now a default on your credit file that'll be there for 7 years. . .0 -
Under the circumstances it might be a good idea to get a PAYG simcard. I know until the debt is paid off you have no chance of getting the pac code to keep your old number. A contract phone might not be the best solution if you are out of work.
:A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
"Marleyboy you are a legend!"
MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
Marleyboy speaks sense
marleyboy (total legend)
Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.0 -
They won't reduce anything while you're in default. Once you can pay it off they may be able to do something.
No use now, but its always better to talk to the billing team when you know you've a problem, they might have been able to sort something out that would have meant you not being cut off.
You've now a default on your credit file that'll be there for 7 years. . .
Just to Correct Jon01 its 6 years, Orange may work out a repayment plan with you, you should have contacted them when you first had an issue (I know hinesight is always better :eek: ) then you would have avoided a default. Even if you get back on track there is no guarntee Orange will reconnect you !0 -
Thanks Taz, don't know why I keep thinking its 7 (must a dwarf thing...)0
-
Thanks Taz, don't know why I keep thinking its 7 (must a dwarf thing...)
It is a dwarf thing. Its one for every dwarf and then you just take out happy :j therefore its 6 years. It still amazes me why its 6 years a few mistakes and bye bye credit for 6 years. I reckon 3 would be a more realistic figure !0 -
tazdevil01985 wrote: »It is a dwarf thing. Its one for every dwarf and then you just take out happy :j therefore its 6 years. It still amazes me why its 6 years a few mistakes and bye bye credit for 6 years. I reckon 3 would be a more realistic figure !
Keeping it in line with statute of limitation on debts, maybe? Just a guess.0 -
Hi rhapsody_princess,
If the account has been disconnected it may be about to be passed to a Debt Collection Agency. My advice would be to contact our Collections Team on [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]07973 100 178 [/SIZE][/FONT] as soon as possible to find out the status of the account. If the account is still with us they should be able to take a full payment to bring the account up to date and reconnect it.
Hope this helps
Steve, Orange Helpers
Twitter:@Orange Helpers
Facebook: Orange UK“Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Orange. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
Have Orange instructed debt recovery yet, as this bill will quickly spiral unless you sort it out ASAP.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
