Groupon

Has anyone used Groupon? I bought my first meal deal yesterday and would like to hear anyone's views

Thanks
:j [COLOR=Magenta]Pennies Pot £121 saving for Alton Towers Hotel/Center Parcs[/COLOR]

Comments

• jaimem
    jaimem Posts: 64 Forumite
    i have i went to the kro bar in Manchester yesterday for sunday lunch, was a bargain!! excellent food and had a good time, have just bought another deal also Manchester cruise 3 course meal on a canal boat through the ship canal x
    im hooked!
  • Jaimem thanks for your reply.

I have had several emails offering good deals and then had an email to say I had £8 in my account, so I bought a 3 course meal with wine for 2 for £25, used my £8 so cost me £17. The web site of the restaurant looks great. I've had the voucher come through ok so just need to book a time. Worringly though next day I had a call from barclaycard checking 3 transactions. 2 I had made but 1 I had not for £503.00 on line. This is the same card I used for Groupon. Thankfully the £503.00 was declined. It was an electrical store in London and I live in Midlands. My card was in my purse the whole day and no one knows my pin.

This could just be a genuine coincidence and thank god Barclaycard was on the ball. Everything bought online with my card has to go throught a verification process and again no one knows my password.

I will ring the restaurant today to verify their coupon vadility. I don't think for one minute its a scam, as you have just verified your purchase.
    :j [COLOR=Magenta]Pennies Pot £121 saving for Alton Towers Hotel/Center Parcs[/COLOR]
  • hi

i have used groupon a number of times as have many of my friends and girls at work. Never had any problems at all.

tracey
  • Hi

I use website UKCityDeals which amalgamates Groupon and KGB Deals on the same site. I've bought meals through both companies and I've had good experiences so far. The only issue sometimes is that there are a few items from the menu that they say are not part of the deal even though the deal doesn't mention this. However, it's always been very good value for money and my family continue to get them.
  • lizzywig
    lizzywig Posts: 289 Forumite
    I've never brought meals from them but both my friends and I use Groupon all the time. They are amazing!! You get so many too good to be true deals with them which turn out to be true!!
    Don't Throw Food Away Challenge January 2012 - £0.17 / £10
    Grocery Challenge 16th Jan - 19th Feb 2012 - £254.72/£200 (Ooops very bad start)
    Grocery Challenge 20th Feb - 8th March 2012 - £0/£200
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have bought several groupon vouchers for local restaurants and I have been well pleased.

It may be coincidence but two of the restaurants accepted Taste cards (which give half off) so the groupon deal whilst good is not quite as good as it appears at first sight.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • jjonesy
    jjonesy Posts: 84 Forumite
    Never used them - I joined up then cancelled as all I seemed to find was teeth whitening, hair treatments and rubbish restaurants.

Hopefully their meal deal in the UK works better than the Japanese one - see attached
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110117/ap_on_hi_te/as_japan_groupon_apology

At least the guys came out and apologised - wouldn't see that from most.
  • Thank you all so much for your comments
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January 2011 at 2:58AM
    Misleading deal from Groupon (this one is for a local restaurant)

It says:

Highlights:
    - No limitations, available at any time on any day
    - Centrally located in Edinburgh's historic city centre (not actually accurate, it's in Newington)
    - No need to book, just turn up and dig in

But in the fine print it says:

Advance booking essential, please have vouchers and security codes ready

Totally contradicting themselves!

I also find the good deals to be few and far between - you should be able to select what kind of deals you want to be notified about as I have no interest in teeth whitening, fake tans, spas, or most of the other so called deals they offer!

A number of people have had complaints about some of the teeth whitening deals as well, see:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2993004

If you do decide to use them, go via a cashback site and you get 8% cashback:
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/groupon/
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • I popped along to KRO2 on Oxford Road yesterday with a free chip voucher I printed off their website!
    Apparently it's National Chip Week which means you get loads of chip deals until the 27th. If you print off the voucher you can claim a free portion of chips!!

Great deal and gonna head back soon to claim more yummy chips!
    This is the voucher webpage for all those chip lovers!

Go onto the Kro website and click news/offers in KRO2. The voucher is half way down the page!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure