Great "Free Ways to Say I Love You" Hunt

Options

Comments

• lilly81
    lilly81 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have booked to do a mystery shop at my local pub.
    Taking my BF there for lunch, and as long as we dont spend over £15 its free :j
    Debt free date 23rd march 2009 🥳Autism is my super power 🏳️🌈 🌈✨
  • sarah8910
    Options
    An ex once had a little present bag with a dvd in on the living room table and had trailed a ribbon from it all the way to the front door so I followed that...it was a slideshow of pics of us with 'our' song in the background.. You could easily use something else to do the 'trail' and just have it waiting to play on the laptop to keep it free.

On our first v day we had been together 6 months and were spending a week together for the first time so I got a card every day with a sweet message in (could make them to keep the cost down and make it even more special).

I kept a diary of our relationship for 10 months and gave it to him for his bday once (he cried! and liked that it wasn't ALL happy stuff & gushing as he said it made it 'real'). Again, you could adapt this to less time and not worry about the nice book to put it in.

I made him a scrapbook and put things in like old ticket stubs, a list of all the things top to toe physically I love about him as he was a bit insecure in his looks (you could do just this on a nice piece of card with a full length picture of him/her- it will give them a massive boost and doesn't need to be as shallow as 'you're fit' type comments- could be what they do with the body part in question!), a pic of us with 'i love you' written around the edge in different languages and a 5 'chapter' (an a4 page-ish each) story (ours) with a pic from the time I was talking about for each. Again either of these on their own would make a nice gift.

A not free but cheap option I did one year as well was bought 2 cheap white t shirts and made, printed and ironed on 2 designs... one was one of us doing horrible cheesy smiles with the message 'love is...' at the top 'a reason to smile' at the bottom. The other had a 'business card' on it with (again) a pretty bad but funny pic of him and name: (his name) occupation: super stud! think it also had a pic of a world at the bottom. With a couple of cheap pj bottoms I presented them as pj sets (I know it sounds odd but he LOVED pjs).

Also near the start (not for an occasion but you could) I made a one board comic. He used to play a WoW type thing and I made a ms paint drawing of him as an angry wizard flaying a wand with the caption '-his name- aka Narni Jemo the elf wizard once again defeats the enemy, and narrowly avoids a social life!'. He absolutely loved it.

I must have had some sort of quota for slushyness that I exceeded as I didn't do anything like that for my most recent ex except a booklet of messages from people for him to read atop Kilimanjaro when he climbed it for charity. Though the first one was over 3 and a half years (younger) years :P
  • chrissmiff
    Options
    4 years ago I forgot to buy my wife a valentine's card, so I quickly found a cheap (10 for a £1) card in the drawer. It had a picture of a teddy bear which I doctored to look like an elf! I added the words inside - from The Love Pixie. Every subsequent year I have given Her one of these doctored cards with: 2nd year Love Elf, 3rd year Love leprechaun, and this year Love Gnome
  • ianmac46
    Options
    I cut out a couple of hearts as a stencil from Rob Ives paper automata site.
    I then made a nice coffee with frothy milk and used the stencil to make hearts with the chocolate sprinkle.
    Total time in addition to the time to make the coffee, which I do anyway, about 5 minutes.
    Lots of loving for that!
    Cheers
    Ian Mac
  • schnide
    schnide Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    lilly81 wrote: »
    I have booked to do a mystery shop at my local pub.
    Taking my BF there for lunch, and as long as we dont spend over £15 its free :j

And who says romance is dead?

:rotfl:
  • sandiesparkles
    Options
    i chalked love hearts in different colours all up the path in our garden. i cut out love hearts from paper and spread them over the table. we had a chilly but romantic breakfast in the garden. my husband loved it..
  • RedBalloon
    RedBalloon Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm delighted with the reaction to my post - I am a bit of a romantic and I still think the most thoughtful gifts at Valentines are those which didn't cost a penny, merely a bit of time and thought. Some great ideas so far...... I particularly like the red box idea :)
    "Buy me, Lady", said the frock, "and I will make you into a BEAUTIFUL & WHOLE & COMPLETE human being".
    "Do not be silly", said the Man, "for a frock alone cannot do that".
    "True", said the Lady, "I will have the shoes and the bag as well".
    :rotfl:
  • indelacio
    indelacio Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    RedBalloon wrote: »
    I'm delighted with the reaction to my post - I am a bit of a romantic and I still think the most thoughtful gifts at Valentines are those which didn't cost a penny, merely a bit of time and thought. Some great ideas so far...... I particularly like the red box idea :)
    I pointed out and bumped your post when mse posted it without doing a search lol. Glad its going well :-P
  • vampcherry
    Options
    My hubby wrote me a song and recorded it on YouTube, it's great and meant soo much!
  • begley
    begley Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've made a card, and am cooking some heart shaped cookies. She doesn't know, so don't say anything!! Hehe! We never buy stuff for any event really, but we try and have a 'kid free' night every six weeks or so. Kiddo goes to friends' houses and we then return the favour!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure