We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Anything special about iPhone contract?

Daneel
Daneel Posts: 102 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
I've been doing cashback deals on mobiles for years but have never owned an iPhone so know nothing about them. My girlfriend's contract is up, and she is quite happy to keep her existing iPhone 3G, but is currently paying £45 per month for 1,000 minutes, data and texts.

She only needs 600-700 mins, say 500 texts, and 500MB-1Gb of data. I'm fairly sure I can get her a new contract with a crap phone I can sell on for a lot less than £45 a month, and swap in the new SIM, but I'm wondering if because it's an iPhone, if some of the features will stop working (iTunes, app store?) or anything like that?

Do I need to jailbreak the phone to do this? Is that an easy process? (I'm happy flashing custom ROMs to my android phone).

Thanks!

Comments

  • SmudgeUK
    SmudgeUK Posts: 264 Forumite
    I used to own a I-Phone 4 (till it was stolen) and the 3g, never had a issue when i switched sims or anything, everything still worked without a problem.
    Awaiting Inspiration......................
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,413 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    The only thing you'll be missing is free access to nationwide networks of wireless hotspots. I believe that iPhone plans on all networks include BT Openzone (although on Orange it currently has a fault), and on O2 you also get The Cloud. These are very useful if you spend a lot of time within range of these hotspots, as there are loads of them everywhere and they're much faster than 3G.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.