Christmas table centrepiece?

Options
I am looking for inspiration of an easy-to-make, cheap centre piece for the Christmas dinner table please. I've found remarkably few ideas on-line so I can only assume I am searching for the wrong thing!

I don't mind putting a bit of effort in, but if it was free, so much the better as it has just occured to me that I need one and I haven't budgeted for materials :o

Thanks! :D
Total Original Debt: £30404.24
Current debt: £18586.16
Total Paid: £11857.74 38.95% :T

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I found one or two on this site for you :)

http://interiordec.about.com/od/cmasctpcproj/a/a_cmascenterpcs.htm

But really any wreath decoration with lots of greenery could be flipped over and placed on the table instead of the front door :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • ashli_2
    ashli_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
  • strawbsuk76
    Options
    I have just been into my local poundland and bought a lovely christmas plant pot in red with a lovely xmas scene on the front for u guessed it £1 i then went into wilkinsons and bought some florist green sponge stuff name escapes me just nowbut im sure you know the stuff......89p for a rectangle block. I also found in the pound shops some small wreaths and swags with berries and pine cones and holly leaves on etc which can be dismantled to be rearranged and put into the plant pot. I then bought a church candle in cream £1 for 4 which i have jammed a couple of cocktail sticks into the bottom of so it will stand in the foam block thing for the middle of the pot its looking rather nice and some xmas ribbon with the wire edges so it can be shaped again 2 rolls £1 in the pound shop . just need to cut a few branches off my mums conifer tree nearer to the day so it will have some live foliage in it too.
    total cost £4.89p
    hope this gives you some ideas
    strawbs x
    Pain is temporary!! quitting is permanent
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    Along the lines of the picture of the apples, instead of tall candles the top of the apples could be cut out and a tea light placed inside.
    Same can be done with oranges. A circle of cloves could also be pressed into the peel around the tealight.
    Small terracotta pots decorated with sponged on with stars and little sprigs of holly placed inside.
    Wire together bay fresh bay leaves and wrap around glass baby food or yoghurt jar secure with a alength of raffia and place a candle inside.
    If you have a largeish plain glass bowl a selection of different sized baubles arranged inside looks really nice and colourful. Mini boxes wrapped up in bright plain colours could also be added if you have a tradition of table presents.
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • my mum makes an arrangement for the centre of our table every year and all she does is get 1 of the plastic containers that our take away indian comes in then puts in about a 1/4 of a block of oasis which she has soaked in water and then fills it with greenery that she collects from our garden and the local countryside such as ivy, conifer, holly and any other leaves that are still out she also goes and collects cones. she sometimes puts a candle in but through years of exerience we have discovered that naked flames at the table are not always a good idea:eek: the arrangement always looks lovely and festive and costs very little (the oasis is the only cost) :T
  • ashli_2
    ashli_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all.....great ideas! I am looking forward to this. :D
  • lday77
    lday77 Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    I use 3 candles (church ones - the fat ones) of differing heights. Lots of foilage like holly and ivy on a foil covered circle of card.

To attached the holly and Ivy I use red beads and dress makers pins, to look like berries.

I know the candles can be expensive but I seen some cheap centre pieces with candles in Home Bargains today you could customise one.
    Murphy's No More Pies Member No. 28 on hold
  • Beanietdc
    Beanietdc Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made my own centre piece last year - bought a ring of oasis and then "pruned" various plants in the garden / hung over next doors fence etc..... let me try and find the pictures...
    Debt free date - June 2008 :T :T :T
  • Beanietdc
    Beanietdc Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK - here we go... I forgot - I bought a bit of ribbon and a bunch of the white flowers (approx £2).

21-12-05_2048.jpg

(Mum already had the candle).

It wasn't that difficult - I just remember that you need to ignore the idea of "less is more" and just keep going adding more and more on. Once you think you have enough.... add some more and it gets better!
    Debt free date - June 2008 :T :T :T
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    that great, that is what I do but with 3 candles in a line so it takes up the centre length-ways not in a circle, I love making it, so much better than buying it xxx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure