We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Phones 4 U very good offers if you barter!
Just thought I'd share a success story for anyone visiting Phones 4 U soon.
I knew which phone I wanted (Blackberry Curve) and did a bit of research about what deals were available -best I could find was through Quidco/mobiles.co.uk tariff on Vodaphone for 500 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data. They were doing this for 25 p/m & VAT for 24 month contract plus an offer of your choice - LCD TV, Wii, Kinect, 13 months half price line rental (by redemption) or 140 cash back.
In store they offered the same tariff and when I mentioned the offers I could get online they immediately offered to match the cashback of 140. I said I'd think about it and the manager asked what he could offer for me to sign up there and then, offering to up the cash back to 180 cash there and then. I pushed a bit further and got a 2 pack of skins thrown in (worth 20quid) so I signed up and walked out with 180 cash! I could have got 50quid through Quidco but its not guaranteed and you have to wait for months.
It seems the manager has a lot of discretion when it comes to deals they can offer :beer:
I knew which phone I wanted (Blackberry Curve) and did a bit of research about what deals were available -best I could find was through Quidco/mobiles.co.uk tariff on Vodaphone for 500 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data. They were doing this for 25 p/m & VAT for 24 month contract plus an offer of your choice - LCD TV, Wii, Kinect, 13 months half price line rental (by redemption) or 140 cash back.
In store they offered the same tariff and when I mentioned the offers I could get online they immediately offered to match the cashback of 140. I said I'd think about it and the manager asked what he could offer for me to sign up there and then, offering to up the cash back to 180 cash there and then. I pushed a bit further and got a 2 pack of skins thrown in (worth 20quid) so I signed up and walked out with 180 cash! I could have got 50quid through Quidco but its not guaranteed and you have to wait for months.
It seems the manager has a lot of discretion when it comes to deals they can offer :beer:
0
Comments
-
well done that looks to me a super deal.Just thought I'd share a success story for anyone visiting Phones 4 U soon.
I knew which phone I wanted (Blackberry Curve) and did a bit of research about what deals were available -best I could find was through Quidco/mobiles.co.uk tariff on Vodaphone for 500 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data. They were doing this for 25 p/m & VAT for 24 month contract plus an offer of your choice - LCD TV, Wii, Kinect, 13 months half price line rental (by redemption) or 140 cash back.
quidco were only 50-50 nowadays if you are lucky. and payment could even be years. I had one of my payments coming through after 22 months, I had long finished my 18 month contract when I received my quidco cashback sans that years admin fee.I could have got 50quid through Quidco but its not guaranteed and you have to wait for months.0 -
Does this vary branch to branch?0
-
Where was this branch I'd like to have a look there :cool:0
-
So during the whole term you pay:
£25 x 24 = £600 - £180 cashback = £420, or probably £400 if you factor in the free gift.
Now the phone can be purchase from carphonewarehouse for £139 (£129+£10 top up)
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/BLACKBERRY-CURVE-8520/PPAY?portal=BUYAT&promo=hotukdeals
and for £10 a month you can get either
- Tesco mobile, 500mins/unltd text/500mb (1 month contract)
- Tmobile, 600mins/500txt/unltd internet (12 months contract)
http://www.tescomobilepaymonthly.com/sim-only-deals/
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sim-only-600mins-500txt-unlimited-i/828579
So the alternative option would cost you £139+£240 = £379 over the 24 months period - and you have £10 PAYG credit to play with too. Not to mention you have the flexibility to terminate the contract anytime (tesco) or right after 12m (Tmobile).0 -
I have two relatives who are on the Tesco deal and are very happy with them. If there are no good deals from phones4u I will probably get one myself.
Fortyfoot0 -
This was Truro branch - the SA said that Sundays were very quiet so I'd recommend going when they are quiet as the manager seemed to have the discretion to do what he wanted deal wise.
Thanks lhwjud - I did see the Tesco deal but was happy enough to do the deal there and then, being tied in for 24 months isn't ideal admittedly but ho hum!0 -
To the op, well done on getting that deal from phones4u but being pedantic, you haggled with them rather than bartered.0
-
Presumably, you mean £25 including VAT. £25 a month & VAT would be a total of £30 a month.
I also think you probably meant "haggle" rather than "barter", which would imply you gave him half a sheep or a couple of dozen eggs in exchange for the phone. ;P
Actually, as we're talking about Cornwall here, perhaps you did. ;DIf I've helped you please show your appreciation by using the "Thanks" button
> :T0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards