We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Quick 'end of contract' question

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious but having searched quickly I can't see the definitive answer to my question.

At the end of my mobile phone contract is the provider obliged to unlock my phone or can they refuse/charge me for doing it?

Thanks in advance
DM

Comments

  • GRM
    GRM Posts: 645 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    They are not obliged to do it for free.
  • Many thanks for the quick reply.

    Cheers
    DM
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Vodafone don't charge at end if contract. At least for the last 4 phones I've asked anyway.
  • Well that is interesting as it is Vodafone who I have just finished my contract with. I asked the redemption lady and she said they would charge me. When I queried this she said she didn't actually know and that I'd need to speak to customer services.

    I got cut off then while being transferred but couldn't be bothered at that point to phone back as I needed to go out.

    Anyway thanks for that as its worth me now asking at least

    Cheers
    DM
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi,

    DebtMagnet –

    I’m sorry to hear that you’ve received some confusing information relating to your network unlock code.

    If you could contact me at the Web Relations Team and provide me with your details, details of your handset and your IMEI number (Which can be found by dialling *#06# into your phone) then I will be more than happy to help you get your network unlock code. When you email us, please quote the code WRT135 in the subject line. In the main message body, please include a link to this thread and your username. This will help to ensure that your email comes directly through to us.

    I am certain that we will be able to get your handset unlocked in no time. :D

    James011 –

    Thanks for your post; I can totally understand that this situation may be causing you some frustration. Although I can see that our fraud teams are already working on this case for you, if you would like us to check in on the progress of the case or simply explain more about what’s happening at the moment, then please feel free to contact me via the link above and I will be happy to help you further.

    Thanks,

    Espi
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Thanks for your kind offer to help. I will send the details as requested to you.

    Many thanks again
    DM
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.