We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What am I doing wrong?!

I have a new Samsung C3050.
It's a pay-as-you go and I have £10 worth of credits but as I am away in Argentina as I type (yes - it's the summer down here!) I don't seem to be allowed to call or text either locally or back to the UK.
I can't find any mention of a lock / unlock option on the phone.

As an aside, is it worth having an overseas plan / company that I see offering cut price calls back to the UK which would see me either download or register the phone with someone like MO-Call?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Comments

  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    international roaming normally needs to be set up before you leave the UK
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • spondon30
    spondon30 Posts: 120 Forumite
    On payg you dont usually need to set up roaming. However on the Orange website it states
    "When travelling to Argentina, you may need to change your phones frequency band. Its easy to do - you can find out more in your phones User Guide in the help using your mobile section."
  • spondon30 wrote: »
    On payg you dont usually need to set up roaming. However on the Orange website it states
    "When travelling to Argentina, you may need to change your phones frequency band. Its easy to do - you can find out more in your phones User Guide in the help using your mobile section."

    I dont think that has been the case in years ! The only network Orange has a PAYG Agreement with is Telecom Personal SA the other networks will not work !

    You need to get in touch with Orange CS who will raise an action to Roaming Team to investigate. Could be a fault as you cant phone out then would suggest
    http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/contacting-us/payg-email
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Does Argentina not run on GSM850 which some handsets may not support.
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 314 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Yes. Argentinal uses 850/1900 bands, same as used in most of North and South America. However, the samsung c3050 is listed as a quadband, so that's likely not the issue. OP should verify that the band selection is in auto and not manually set to 900/1800. Or may be the carrier does not support roaming in Argentina.
    DUTR wrote: »
    Does Argentina not run on GSM850 which some handsets may not support.
  • Thanks
    I'll try and work this one out.
    It's a Vodaphone PAYG .

    Tim
  • Why do not you use GTalk or Skype for making calls?
    used mobile
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.