PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Aluminium cans worth 1p each

Options
13»

Comments

• HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    this is a great thread!

i've been wanting to start teaching dd (4) about civic duty. she started learning her colours by helping me sort glass at the recycling bins so this will fit right in with that sort of education :p

anyway, she's very concsious of rubbish and often picks things up when we're out on a walk and waits til she finds a bin to throw them away!

i think this would be a brilliant way for her to supplement her pocket money and teach her about keeping our city clean and recycling

now, i wonder where i can find child size rubber gloves!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • hole_in_pocket_2
    Options
    sorry if this is in the wrong section..me and OH usually recycle cans and bottles.Is it worth saving them up (alumiminum cans)and taking them to a scrap merchant to get some money back, sure i heard/read somewhere that a used aluminium can was worth nearly a penny.
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know about that but a friend of mine used to be a window fitter and they used to offer "the full service" and take the old windows away when they were aluminium and recycle them and get money heh, so if any of y'all get your old aluminium framed windows replaced with double or triple glazing, don't let them window fitters steal your frames! :D

As for alu-cans, I would have thought that the total cost of petrol there and back and the hassle probably outweighs any money that you'd get back from payment. Probably best just to recycle for free - and feel good about doing so :) Is that not payment enough? :)
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    To make any real money out of it you would need a lot of cans.

According to this website aluminium cans are fetching between £800 -£950 per ton in the trade.

A ton of flattened cans is about 50,000. But according to this website it is 40p per KG.

And 60 cans make up a Kilo.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    Options
    aluminium collecters used to take foil cases and foil bottle tops too
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When I was very skint, we used to collect them up, I'd take about 2 dustbin bags full to the supermarket on the Alucan collecting days............used to get about a fiver for the lot :undecided

The Alucan site seems to be down, but they do seem to feature a lot on local council sites, so you may find a collection day under their recycling programme, then there's a little bit of info here.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a thread about recycling aluminium cans that has been running on and off for a while now, so I'll add this one into it.

Prices probably vary around the place - but check your local council's website because they will have lots of recycling information for your area.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A useful link HERE ;)

You can see if there is a cash for cans centre near you.

HTH
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    There's a thread about recycling aluminium cans that has been running on and off for a while now, so I'll add this one into it.

Prices probably vary around the place - but check your local council's website because they will have lots of recycling information for your area.

HTH :)

Any up to date information or threads?

Metal prices seem to be really high, how much per can in 2014? Perhaps more than just cans are worth weighing in, I have an old cooker in the outhouse. I hear ebay is a little hit and miss.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »

According to a web site aluminium cans are fetching between £800 -£950 per ton in the trade.

Calley

Looks like they have gone down in price "on today’s price they are worth £470 per tonne". That is how much my local waste trader has quoted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure