We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Only want Facebook and Apps - which tariff?

pimento
pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
I am currently with o2 PAYG. I top up very rarely as I make hardly any calls. I'm with o2 because I have their broadband and home phone and this gives me a £5 per month discount. I have to top up £10 every three months to keep the discount.

I have a Nokia 6300 at the moment, but I'd like to be able to see Facebook and some apps (WeightWatchers have one that I'd like). All the tariffs seem to assume you want to make loads of calls and send thousands of texts, which I don't, but I would like to go online.

What's my best bet for this? Ideally I'd like to stay with o2, but if needs be I can give them my son's o2 number to keep the discount.

I don't mind buying a phone if it's cheaper to do this and go SIM only rather than take out contract.

Thanks :)

(I did initially think about an iPhone but literally fell over when I saw I would have to tie myself to a 24 month contract AND pay for the phone. They're having a laugh!)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair

Comments

  • http://threestore.three.co.uk/simonly.aspx?id=1184

    3 have a 1gb data sim only listed for £5 a month no texts or minutes are included.

    You can pretty much by any android phone that has those apps depending on budget.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Ooh. That looks interesting. Thanks.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,847 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Be aware that the WW app is not yet available for andriod phones (its only available for i-phone). Good luck with 3- I have not had good experiences with them!

    I have heard the HTC models work well with the internet, e2save have some good offers and worth a look.

    I have not heard any mobiles are especially great with internet though as the battery power lets them down, Apple included, most phones lasting up to a day with only a handful lasting longer--so long as you don't use it?!! So I'd say if you can at all hold off until something better comes along then do, having low battery after about 2 uses is rubbish and not worth monthly fees IMO!
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2011 at 6:47AM
    I've had Mixed experiences with "3" (good unless you need to talk to support...) lol

    But they are (slowly) working on their free Facebook and skype Apps. But even their "pay as you go" is half decent for normal data usage.

    As for HTC, they are great, if you turn the wi-fi off when you are not using it. Lasts ages on 3G, but the wi-fi drains the battery like a bucket with no bottom! lol...

    Check out "three" Mobile Broadband tariffs if you don't want calls only data (it's 10p per sms).

    http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/
    Laters

    Sol

    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,847 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    S0litaire wrote: »
    I've had Mixed experiences with "3" (good unless you need to talk to support...) lol

    But they are (slowly) working on their free Facebook and skype Apps. But even their "pay as you go" is half decent for normal data usage.

    As for HTC, they are great, if you turn the wi-fi off when you are not using it. Lasts ages on 3G, but the wi-fi drains the battery like a bucket with no bottom! lol...

    Check out "three" Mobile Broadband tariffs if you don't want calls only data (it's 10p per sms).

    http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/

    Ah- is that what does it! (the battery!)

    Sorry to hijack OP, but am thinking of an HTC phone- wont be with 3 though as I just don't trust them, the past 18 month contract I've had from them has been a nightmare, before that the previous contract wasn't that much better either. I recently tried to leave, they sent me a letter saying "thankyou for continuing the contract with us it will end in 12 months time and if you try to leave we will charge the full amount from your bank account"!! So I am wary of 3 and their rubbish customer service, I'd be very much on your wits end and concerntrating hard with your contract if you do join them as they do make mistakes and quite frequently in my experience.

    They also don't seem to have as good coverage as say 02. I can be in a building with friends, they all have a signal, I do not. This happens quite frequenly and has happened the duration of every contract I've had with 3 so its not the handset as I've had handsets from Nokia (3 of them), Sony Ericsson (3 of them), LG and its no different with any of them.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    My son has an HTC Wildfire on o2 and I pay £10 a month on a SIMplicity thing plus £5 for 500mb of data, so £15 a month. This is OK, but he had to buy the phone and it cost him a couple of hundred pounds.

    I have a work BlackBerry Bold 3g, but it's locked down and I can't install any apps on it. Bah!
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.