Sending out 'speculative' letters to employers

Options

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    geek84 wrote: »
    Good Morning Folks

I am trying to find employment in the accountancy sector. At present, I am doing some accountancy exams.

I have sent off loads of speculative letters to accountancy firms but only a handful have replied - rejection letters!

My question is - to those that have not replied, shall I follow it up with an email just as a gentle reminder to look at my cv?

Thanks in advance for your response.

No. ...............
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, I tried to multi-quote, but it didn't work from multiple pages. Print them off yourself, just leave it overnight if it's really that slow. I fail to see the point getting someone else to do it.
    e-mail is good, but only if you get the right person.
    Get out and do some real legwork.
    I have had great success from speculative applications in the past. What I favour doing is just getting on my bike and going round the city centre and the local business parks. I write down the name of every employer I see who I think I could do one job or another for. I divide them into two lists initially; ones I would really want the job with, and ones where I could do the job but would not necessarily be as enthusiastic about. I then divide the second list into 4 or 5 job types/ business areas and make up a blanket CV and covering letter (yes, I tailor my CV to the job as well, its not just always the same) for each of these areas. Then for the list of jobs I would really like I make a specific, individualised CV and covering letter for each. I then go and hand deliver each one (having researched to see if there is a name that seems better to ask for than just the general staff), as well as having a stack of other CVs in my bag in case I see anywhere else.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Naf wrote: »

I have had great success from speculative applications in the past.

How far in the past was that?
    Were these min wage jobs or more?
  • Naf
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    How far in the past was that?
    Were these min wage jobs or more?

Two or three years ago and before. I've had success from both with this method. I'm on it again now...

What a few people also find success with (although you have to be quite the character to manage, not many do) is actually selling themselves to do something the employer didn't currently have a job in mind for, but impressing them enough and proving to them that it will improve their business in some way. Rarely works, but its something I'm considering targetting to a few local businesses.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My question is - to those that have not replied, shall I follow it up with an email just as a gentle reminder to look at my cv?

No.

Sending out a CV on spec demonstrates initiative, eagerness and pro-activity. If they're interested, they'll get in touch.

Chasing up something that wasn't requested in the first place risks making you look like a bit of a stalker, and is unlikely to do you any favours.
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    What exactly did your speculative letter say?
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning Folks

I am trying to find employment in the accountancy sector. At present, I am doing some accountancy exams.

I have sent off loads of speculative letters to accountancy firms but only a handful have replied - rejection letters!

I can tell you as someone with 20 yrs experience in accounts that unless you have experience no exams will really get you in the door sorry
  • orangeslimes
    Options
    Good Morning Folks

No - maybe a phonecall.

Also you should make sure your letters are tailored to the different companies. I worked in a small accountancy firm and they occasionally got letters discussing how much they wanted to work at 'a large multinational dynamic company' which shows no understanding of where they were applying.

When that firm hired people it was also always people who initially phoned, or knocked on the door at the right time. Just sending letters ignored (or occasionally laughed at when they were especially stupid)

People also wrote in offering to work for free (though they weren't taken up)- there is a lot of competition.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If sending out speculative cv's and cover letters is so bad then why are next step advisors(who provide free advice at job centres) suggesting people send out spec cv's and cover letters then.
  • Naf
    Options
    Chap at the jobcentre praised me for suggesting it off my own back... It's worth it for the times it does work: you have no knowing where it will/won't work, it's unlikely to affect prospects for applying at the same place as if they binned it they'll not have your name to compare to your new application, and if they kept in on file they obviously felt there was some potential merit to you. Plus even places where it wouldn't usually work have a crisis sometimes and need to start recruiting fast.
    - Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure