Sending out 'speculative' letters to employers

Options
Hi folks
I have been out of work for a while, and looking for an administration job. I have put together, via merge mail, quite a large amount of letters to send to local employers in the hope of getting some type of employment.

Does anybody know of any typing services, or similar, who could print all those letters out for me on a good quality printer?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Options
    can I suggest that whilst it makes it a bit more work you find out who to send the letters to rather than just generic letter bombing.

And if you don't get a reply do it again in a months time because whilst you may get some replys from companies saying they will keep them on file when it comes to a job they will just advertise as normal.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • stokelady1
    Options
    Try emailing too as a lot of employers who do store your CV will do so electronically
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Folks

Thanks for you advice so far.

Can you suggest where I could print off my letters in bulk?

I have an old slow printer!

Thank You.
  • fedster
    fedster Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    geek84 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Thanks for you advice so far.

Can you suggest where I could print off my letters in bulk?

I have an old slow printer!

Thank You.

Library,Internet cafe
  • Wellery82
    Wellery82 Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    I would definitely e-mail if possible. That way people can pass the CV around departments easily and send to more than one person if they feel appropriate

Also i would suggest finding an appropriate contact at each company off their website or by ringing them, and tailoring the first couple of lines as to why that company

Good luck
  • williacg
    williacg Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    The library is 10p per page.
  • bluecelticgirl
    Options
    Does your local council have a resource centre? What about your local job centre - you could try asking there
  • Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    Please make sure that you address them carefully.

Most weeks I get speculative applications that should have been sent to our sister company. The names are similar but I run an IFA practice and they are accountants and the company names make this distinction very clear.

If a would be applicant cannot take a few moments to make sure that they are writing to the correct employer, then neither of us will want an employee who lacks attention to detail and the application is binned/deleted immediately.
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Recruitment agencies are good for admin jobs. Try them as well.
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Folks

Many thanks again for your replies.

The only problem I can see in emailing my CV to employers, is that there will not have a signature at the bottom of my covering letter.

Also, don't you think it is easier for the employer to delete the email (if they want), than throwing a hardcopy of the CV in the bin, which they would receive through the post?

Finally, I have another question for you kind folks out there -

Apart from looking in yellow pages, where else can I get a list of names & addresses for local businesses/employers?

Thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport