We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

International Calling Cards

Wondering if anyone here knows ...
but I've bought credit to call abroad from these guys planet numbers.

From my understanding if I call their access number (0116 329 7007) it should come out of my minutes? I'm just worried Orange have something to detect that it is a call forwarding service. I really don't want to get stung, does anyone have experience with these numbers and uk mobile service providers?

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • It should come out of your minute allowance orange wont charge for it as its a standard landline number and not any of the special numbers prohibited.
  • thanks i really hope so! Otherwise I'm in for a big bad bill.
  • Orange update their database of calling card numbers periodically which include ones that are uk landline numbers. If the number you are using isn't on the database then your calls will be free until the number is known to Orange. If the number is already known to Orange then you'll be charged approx 20p per min.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Orange update their database of calling card numbers periodically which include ones that are uk landline numbers. If the number you are using isn't on the database then your calls will be free until the number is known to Orange. If the number is already known to Orange then you'll be charged approx 20p per min.
    Are you sure that really is the case? I would be very surprised if a national rate number gets flagged up and charged for as I have seen nothing that says that I cannot call 'some' national (geographic) phone numbers. I do however stand to be corrected on this.
  • Parva wrote: »
    Are you sure that really is the case? I would be very surprised if a national rate number gets flagged up and charged for as I have seen nothing that says that I cannot call 'some' national (geographic) phone numbers. I do however stand to be corrected on this.
    Most networks have something against "access numbers" in their T&C, these include calling card numbers, 0800 buster style numbers and anything else to bypass their charges. How actively these clauses are enforced is something I'm not sure of, but they do reserve the right to charge for them.
  • Parva wrote: »
    Are you sure that really is the case? I would be very surprised if a national rate number gets flagged up and charged for as I have seen nothing that says that I cannot call 'some' national (geographic) phone numbers. I do however stand to be corrected on this.

    100% sure. ;) Updated roughly every 6 months and includes 01/02 and 03 landline numbers that are used for calling cards.

    Customers may use a number free for a few weeks/months if the number is undetected then suddenly face charges if the number is added to the database, as contracts don't (knowingly) cover calls that connect to international numbers for free.

    I'd recommend anyone using these numbers to be careful and check call charges since their last bill very regularly if they use calling cards.
  • Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 927 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thats very unfair if they do charge for access numbers.

    Maybe one day they will start charging me:mad:
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Fair enough. That's pretty low especially considering the 0800 scam that they all get away with nowadays. :(
  • spiro
    spiro Posts: 6,405 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Well I've just looked at the T&C sections on the Orange website and it make no mention of restricting access to landline numbers. If they block a number or charge when you think it should be free I would contact and ask them to show you the section of their T&Cs that says they can do it.
    IT Consultant in the utilities industry specialising in the retail electricity market.

    4 Credit Card and 1 Loan PPI claims settled for £26k, 1 rejected (Opus).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.