Support Each Other In Looking For Work?

Options

Comments

• Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    It's better not to spend TOO much time looking, otherwise you find yourself seeing the same ads over and over. When I was looking, I would generally spend Thursday and Friday going through all the sites (as these are traditionally job ad days!) so you can get your CV in first. Then I would look occasionally over the weekend. Monday I noticed was another good day for new ads, then it pretty much died down again til Thursday.

If you see an ad that seems older, there is no harm emailing to see if the role is still vacant. This way you can save yourself the trouble of sending your CV (and getting another rejection) if it has already been filled. Reduces your chances of feeling demotivated as it is better to hear that it has been filled than send your CV and be told your too late.

That's probably what I would be doing too, it's just I'm really rushed or I'll be out on the streets :eek: in this position very unexpectedly and got rent/bills to be paying very soon. It might be naive, but I have to keep up hope something will come along quick enough...

Good advice with the old ads :)
    williacg wrote: »
    I'm fortunate to be in employment, but really do feel for those of you searching for work in this current climate. I think that it's an excellent idea to have started such a thread, as you can offer each other support when you're feeling down in the dumps or if your mojo has gone walkabout.

Wishing you all the best in your searches, and try not to let the rejections get you down too much.

Thank you :)
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • RedSoleShoes
    Options
    Drea wrote: »
    That's probably what I would be doing too, it's just I'm really rushed or I'll be out on the streets :eek: in this position very unexpectedly and got rent/bills to be paying very soon.

Can you sign up for temping? I managed to get offered a permanent role from what was initially a 6-week temp job.
  • Drea
    Options
    Can you sign up for temping? I managed to get offered a permanent role from what was initially a 6-week temp job.

I've signed up with a few agencies for temping but they don't seem to have anything at the moment, just hoping for the phonecall. Trying to stay positive :o
  • RedSoleShoes
    Options
    Something WILL suddenly appear. You sound positive anyway so just try and keep this frame of mind :j

Keep in regular touch with your temping agencies so they know you are available :)
  • Drea
    Options
    On a not so positive note... this application form is ridiculous! They are making me answer The Apprentice type questions, 15 pages long!
  • katkim
    katkim Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Something WILL suddenly appear.

This is what keeps me going - when I get that 'Yes', when all that stress and worry goes away, and getting your life back.

It's just that sometimes it's hard to see that light at the end of the tunnel. When I'm in a downer, it's hard not to wonder IF that light will ever come :o
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been looking for seven months and it can be very depressing. I had two rejections last week, one from an interview and one from a straight forward application on line, at least they responded. Then out from nowhere today i've had an invitation for an interview next week, a job I applied for about six weeks ago. I've got to fill out their application form and take it with me.

I'm sure some posters will come on here and say you should be spending seven hours a day searching for a job but it is impossible. I apply for all type of jobs and even get refused interviews for jobs which are for a lot less than I was on before. You can't stay in applying for jobs all day it would be completely demoralising, I actually joined the gym and spend most mornings there and then spend my afternoons job searching.

Good luck to all still looking for jobs.
  • fedster
    fedster Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really intresting thread!! I was just wondering what you guys think of the new agency rules coming in October? Will it be even harder to get jobs through agnecies? I am currently on a permant contract in a Warehouse but i am thinking of changing jobs, but the prospect of the new agency rules worries me because there seems to be more limits, and less opportunities
  • williacg
    williacg Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    fedster wrote: »
    Really intresting thread!! I was just wondering what you guys think of the new agency rules coming in October? Will it be even harder to get jobs through agnecies? I am currently on a permant contract in a Warehouse but i am thinking of changing jobs, but the prospect of the new agency rules worries me because there seems to be more limits, and less opportunities

Just our of interest Fedster, what are the new agency rules that are coming into effect in October?
  • fedster
    fedster Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From 1 October 2011, agency workers will have the same rights as permanent staff, including pay, holidays and other conditions of employment, after 12 calendar weeks on an assignment.
    http://www.apbusinesscontacts.com/the_people_bulletin-pb_5/agencyworker.aspx

Or is that wrong,Williac?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport