We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Possible to move SIM on Orange Dolphin £40 to another phone

don9999
don9999 Posts: 598 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
This seems a basic question. And generally, of course you CAN swap SIMs between (unlocked) phones. I've been doing it for years.

However, consider this deal.....

E2Save are offering Orange 24 contracts, with rubbish phones, that work out to about £6 or £7 per month on Dolphin £40 tarrif. This includes 700 minutes, unlimited txts and 500M of internet data (despite the phone being unable to access internet).

Now could I buy this phone, and then switch the SIM to another of my modern phones?

I don't need a new phone, so for just £6 or £7 per month, I could have all the calls, txts and internet I would need.

Of course there is the process of claiming cashback etc.., but I've had lots of phones from E2Save and they've always paid me my cashback on time.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Don
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Comments

  • Andy7856
    Andy7856 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yes as long as the phone you intend to use, is either unlocked OR SIM locked to Orange..
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    If you've had so many cashback deals why ask such a thing? The answer is clear and you should have been doing it a LONG time back - then you would be paying a lot less than £6 or £7 a month (or making a profit as I do).

    What I actually think is that if you have to ask a question like that it is more important that you ask yourself if you really know what you're doing with a cashback scheme. Sounds to me like you've led a slightly charmed life on those.
  • don9999
    don9999 Posts: 598 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    I sense a hint of sarcasm in your reply mobilejunkie......

    I have just totted up and I have done 14 cashback deals, with a variety of companies, breaking even on most and making a small profit on some.

    My question was 'meant' to be quite specific, but now that I re-read it, it probably wasn't.

    I KNOW you can switch SIMs for calls and txts. As I have been doing for many, many years.

    However I wasn't sure that you could switch the internet use. eg. if I took out this deal, could I put the sim into an 'iPhone'? I wasn't sure if the latest phones needed 'special' packages or could use any SIM.

    (This is actually for my wife. 'I' have a work-provided Blackberry that I use for all 'my' mobile needs :-) )
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Ah. Yes; and then I don't know since profitable cashback deals don't offer smartphones!
  • wandos
    wandos Posts: 38 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    don9999 wrote: »
    I sense a hint of sarcasm in your reply mobilejunkie......

    I have just totted up and I have done 14 cashback deals, with a variety of companies, breaking even on most and making a small profit on some.

    My question was 'meant' to be quite specific, but now that I re-read it, it probably wasn't.

    I KNOW you can switch SIMs for calls and txts. As I have been doing for many, many years.

    However I wasn't sure that you could switch the internet use. eg. if I took out this deal, could I put the sim into an 'iPhone'? I wasn't sure if the latest phones needed 'special' packages or could use any SIM.

    (This is actually for my wife. 'I' have a work-provided Blackberry that I use for all 'my' mobile needs :-) )

    Yes you are correct you can switch the internet use as well as the minutes and texts. I have done the same with an e2save deal that I am currently using in an iPhone 3gs it works fine. The only exception would be if the phone you wanted to use was a blackberry, in which case you would need to add on the Blackberry data bundle, which is generally £5 per month, as blackberrys do not let you access the internet, email or blackberry messenger without the bundle
  • don9999
    don9999 Posts: 598 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    edited 17 January 2011 at 8:29PM
    Thanks wandos, you have answered my question usefully.

    So I CAN do it. But it is NOT necessarily obvious, since there are exclusions (such as with a Blackberry).

    My wife has a smartphone so I may pick her up a £6 per month deal (600 minutes, unlimited txts, 500Mb data).
    Or, I may see if I can pick up 'cheap' iPhone to use with the deal.

    Cheers,
    Don
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.