We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Phones4U Auto Cashback
I'm looking for some advice on how best to take this further.
My partner signed up for a new phone and contract from Phones4U about a year ago now. The best deal we found in terms of tariff, etc was from Phones4U but that did factor the £100 Auto Cashback that was being offered. We checked the conditions which appear to be only that after 1 month of continued service a cheque would be posted out. This seemed a good route as no bills needed to be posted to them, in fact no action was required at all.
We pretty much forgot about things until last October when we realised we'd never received a cheque. We got in touch with Phones4U and they seemed quite helpful and said they'd investigate. We actually received two phone calls over the following few weeks to say they were still checking their records and would be in touch. Two months or so on and we've not heard a thing. I've emailed them to ask what progress has been made but no response.
So who can I take this up with now, is it a matter for Ofcom, trading standards or a small claims action? I'd just like to know the best course of action, thanks.
I'd like to think there's just been a clerical error and that someone is already in the process of sorting out a cheque and letter of apology. The cynic in me thinks they don't 'automatically' send out all the cheques in the first place and bank on some people not remembering or becoming disillusioned with the whole process of recovering their money.
My partner signed up for a new phone and contract from Phones4U about a year ago now. The best deal we found in terms of tariff, etc was from Phones4U but that did factor the £100 Auto Cashback that was being offered. We checked the conditions which appear to be only that after 1 month of continued service a cheque would be posted out. This seemed a good route as no bills needed to be posted to them, in fact no action was required at all.
We pretty much forgot about things until last October when we realised we'd never received a cheque. We got in touch with Phones4U and they seemed quite helpful and said they'd investigate. We actually received two phone calls over the following few weeks to say they were still checking their records and would be in touch. Two months or so on and we've not heard a thing. I've emailed them to ask what progress has been made but no response.
So who can I take this up with now, is it a matter for Ofcom, trading standards or a small claims action? I'd just like to know the best course of action, thanks.
I'd like to think there's just been a clerical error and that someone is already in the process of sorting out a cheque and letter of apology. The cynic in me thinks they don't 'automatically' send out all the cheques in the first place and bank on some people not remembering or becoming disillusioned with the whole process of recovering their money.
0
Comments
-
First, you need to have copies of what you agreed to - always a must when ordering any mobile phone contract.
Provided you have copies, waste no time sending a Letter before Legal proceedings to their head office giving them fourteen days to pay before isssuing legal procedings. Then (presuming no cheque) make an online claim including court fees and statutory interest.0 -
Many thanks.
It was an Internet order however I did take screenshots and print out the order information and auto cashback details. Probably not ideal as evidence but should provide a basis for proving the offer.
I'll draft a letter and see what response we get. I did wonder if Ofcom or Consumer Direct should be made aware just in case this isn't the first time this has happened and further investigation is needed.0 -
@chipfork: How did it all turn out? Did you get your moneyback cheque?
I purchased a phone from them about 1 month ago, same deal, moneyback made it an attractive deal, they said after 28 days I'd get a cheque.. Turns out I need to wait 14 working days... Looked around their forum at some horror stories re: cashback.. Scary stuff..0 -
I had exactly the same issue a year or so ago. I realised after nine months I'd never received my cheque. After exactly the same response as you (getting fobbed off) I went into a shop and complained that since I don't have a land line, calling was extortionate (they have 0800 for purchases, but 0870 for customer services). So they let me use their business phone.
After using a loud unhappy voice in front of the customers in the shop they agreed there and then to have the cheque sent straight out. It was a great feeling, and it showed me that they're every bit as bad as CPW for dishonesty.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards