We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any help for an idiot?

Ok I feel like a compleate spanner for doing what I have done but I need help now.

I had decided that after paying about £15-£20 a month on PAYE with a basic phone the time had come to get a better phone on a contract. As my husband has just gone to T mobile we decided that I should do the same. We went into their shop on Monday to look at phones and I basically asked for one which was user friendly, had good internet access and was about the same price as I was currently paying. The assistant advised me to get the LG P-500 as it was apparently what I wanted and anyway all android phones worked in the same way so being user friendly wasn't an issue.

You cannot actually try the phones in the T mobile shop as none are set up so you can just feel them!

Anyway stupidly I signed up for the contract there and then and went home with my phone.

Since getting it home I have found it very hard to use. The touch screen is not very sensitive and you have to really press hard with your finger on the tiny icons, therefore leading you to often getting the wrong thing. The internet browsing is terrible and the user guide is appalling. I am not a stupid person normally but I have had to get my husband (IT programmer) to set it up for me and he agrees it is not very user friendly and most of the stuff he has done is not in the guide at all.

So I am left with a phone I hate using and quite frankly do not want to use.

Do I have any options? I am happy to stay on the contract but I cannot deal with this phone. Do I have any chance of exchanging it?

Comments

  • TrishaM
    TrishaM Posts: 654
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    is there not a 7 day return policy?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Terms and Conditions, have a look at them.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • T-Mobile have no 7day exchange or return policy. However I know for 100% T-mobile have working demos and part of their sales pitch (so my friend advises me) is they are supposed to demo the phone before selling it to you (aslong as they have been sent a demo as they aren't allowed to open live stock to do so).

    As they do not have an exchange policy or return policy you could always try talking nicely to the store manager see if you can get it swaped for something of the same value. They do not have to do this but if you don't ask you never know. Also remember do go in there aggresive or angry as this will only put backs up be polite and ask nicely see if you can pull on the heart strings but again there is nothing that states they have to.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OK - your legal position under Sale of Goods etc is that, unless there is a fault with the phone, you made a contract and tough luck.

    We are used to High Street shops having a returns policy whereby, if you bought a dress you later didn't like or it didn't fit, you could return it and exchange or get your money back.

    Other things, such as mobile phones, motor cars, ear rings etc you can not exchange.

    Mobile phones are particularly complicated because they form part of a dual sale - air time and handset. When you open a sim and use a mobile phone, the reseller can't just take it back and reissue it. You would kick up a fuss if your new handset had contacts set up by a previous person and a sim that had been detached from its base, plus strangers calling you on the number that had previously been issued to the person who returned the handset.

    Someone has to absorb any cost of such an exchange and one way out might be for resellers to offer an exchange policy at a price - say £25 admin fee if you change your mind within 7 days.

    But ask yourself the following question "Would I have bought a dress that I was going to wear regularly and was going to cost me over £500 without trying it on if the shop had a no returns policy?"

    I suspect not. And if it didn't fit or you decided you didn't look good in it, would you expect the shop to take it back?

    It's the same thing here. So, you are in the hands of the store and it will depend upon the discretion that the manager has and wishes to exercise. Good luck.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you end up with no other successful route, you could always try ebay as a last resort.

    This listing seems to suggest it will be worth over £100. On PAYG or SIMFree, this handset seems to be the best part of £200 so it should get a fair bit on ebay.

    You could use this to buy a more appropriate handset.
  • emerald21
    emerald21 Posts: 11,349
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Daisypod wrote: »
    Ok I feel like a compleate spanner for doing what I have done but I need help now.

    I had decided that after paying about £15-£20 a month on PAYE with a basic phone the time had come to get a better phone on a contract. As my husband has just gone to T mobile we decided that I should do the same. We went into their shop on Monday to look at phones and I basically asked for one which was user friendly, had good internet access and was about the same price as I was currently paying. The assistant advised me to get the LG P-500 as it was apparently what I wanted and anyway all android phones worked in the same way so being user friendly wasn't an issue.

    You cannot actually try the phones in the T mobile shop as none are set up so you can just feel them!

    Anyway stupidly I signed up for the contract there and then and went home with my phone.

    Since getting it home I have found it very hard to use. The touch screen is not very sensitive and you have to really press hard with your finger on the tiny icons, therefore leading you to often getting the wrong thing. The internet browsing is terrible and the user guide is appalling. I am not a stupid person normally but I have had to get my husband (IT programmer) to set it up for me and he agrees it is not very user friendly and most of the stuff he has done is not in the guide at all.

    So I am left with a phone I hate using and quite frankly do not want to use.

    Do I have any options? I am happy to stay on the contract but I cannot deal with this phone. Do I have any chance of exchanging it?

    Hi, I bought a Pulse mini from T Mobile but not on a contract and asked the girl would i be able to fetch it back etc if i didn t like it and she said yes within 7 days i could exchange it for another. I didn t however. Definatly worth going in and asking asap. HTH
  • emerald21
    emerald21 Posts: 11,349
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    emerald21 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a Pulse mini from T Mobile but not on a contract and asked the girl would i be able to fetch it back etc if i didn t like it and she said yes within 7 days i could exchange it for another. I didn t however. Definatly worth going in and asking asap. HTH

    Ps I went in and asked a few questions as to what type of phone id like and she pointed me in the direction of the pulse mini ( as i was thinking of purchasing the orange sanfrancisco from argos ) I said can you show me how it works etc and she got one out of a box and proceeded to show me all the features and even offered to set it up for me if and when i purchased one which i did the day after.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.