🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Introducing myself - Small changes, big effect!

Options
*KT*
*KT* Posts: 251 Forumite
edited 28 January 2011 at 10:57AM in Debt free diaries
(or should that be re-introducing myself)

Hello everyone,

I've been here before. Under a different name though...

I have always had small manageable debts. I still have (compaired to some) small manageable debts. To me though they are too big because they are there at all.

I am very possibly about to be made redundant from a science post...

I am studying for a new career in sign language interpreting which has proven to be a very expensive part time uni course but I LOVE it! Very passionate about that language.

and in short... I am starting over.

In many ways nothing has really changed. I just need a reinvention and fresh incentive - A looming redundancy will do that for you. So I'm back, under a new name, with fresh goals and a sort of clean slate. I'm hoping to join in some challenges soon. I just thought I'd come in and introduce myself.

Hello again everyone!
*KT*:j

ps. If you recognise me from any details feel free to PM me but please respect my clean slate publicly, thanks!
Can we pretend that aeroplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, cause I could really use a wish right now...

Comments

• Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome (back). Hope the new career works out once you have passed adn teh redundancy does not get you down too much. It is nice to see someone making a negative (redundancy) into a positive (new career prospects etc). I only wish I had been a little more positive when I was made redundant a few years ago.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • *KT*
    Options
    Thanks,

It's good to be back. I just wish I was only popping in to say hi rather than back for advice...!
    Can we pretend that aeroplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, cause I could really use a wish right now...
  • *KT*
    Options
    Ok, so here is where I'm at, roughly

I have fees to pay for uni. Not sure exactly how much these are in total but my current bill is for £500 I think

I have a balance on my credit card of ~£850

I am near the edge of a £800 overdraft every month.

I have a mortgage and a car (no payments on car)

I am possibly about to be made redundant and from there be starting a freelance career of uncertainty.

My boyfriend owes me money but he is in a worse state than me by far so I am happy just now to accept cash from him as and when he is able. I earn more than him so quite often take the brunt of the spending. He feels like he's sponged enough and tells me he's trying to sort himself out but I really don't think he's had his full lightbulb moment yet, even with some of the negative things that have happened. I see some of the ways he spends money and I cringe, his money priorities are a little skewed. We all have to make a few mistakes to learn in this world but if only you could induce someones lightbulb moment...;)

I have a gym membership but I use it (it helped me lose over 2stone last year) so it isn't going. I also have sky+ but as I very rarely go out this is my main source of entertainment. I've cut it down to the channels I really use and called them up to get my bills as low as possible (£32pm for tv with movies, broadband and phone). Cinema is my other downfall and where a lot of my money goes.

Things I have already done recently
    -My mortgage has dropped onto a much lower rate, still paying interest and capital but much lower each month.
    -I have finally been able to join a carshare at my work (I work 40miles from where I live) So that should help me save a small fortune
    -I have recently discovered ebay and have sold a couple of items. I don't really have much to sell to be honest (I don't like to have a lot of stuff) But I'll sell what I can.
    -I've already dropped brands on many items. Boyfriend can be a bit funny about that so it's best to hide it whenever possible! :p
    -I only drink at Christmas and New Year as a treat (1 week of the year.)

I'd like to join the no spend days challenge but I need to get myself set up for it for next month I think.

I want to bring my own lunch to work most of the time.

I want to cook more at home. I am a bad girl for take-aways.

Can anyone think of anything really obvious that I'm not already doing to try to keep this as pain-free as possible.

Thanks for your support guys!

*KT*
  • wookiebob
    Options
    Just wanted to say Hi, I'm new so don't want to give advice as there will be loads of things people can advise to help you, just thought I'd say well done for getting back to DFW! xx
    New Year New Me! Getting to grips with keeping my money, not spending it!:j
    £2.00 Coin Savers Club Member #84
    Ebay Challenge 2011 £46/£1000
  • *KT*
    Options
    Thanks for your warm welcome!
  • MellyB_2
    MellyB_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome Back!

I've subscribed to your diary and want to wish you look on your 2011 journey (without sounding too cheesy - too late!)
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I think I recognise you - not sure though! Anyway welcome back.
    With respect to the cinema
    1) can you go on a orange wednesday - even a cheapy sim will allow you to do this I think?
    2) Martin's email this week had a list of companies you can sign up to to get cheap/or free cineams tickets for previews and the like.
    3) can you get a monthly pass - is this cheaper? I believe cineworld do a monthly pass thing - not sure if the others do?

I guess with the other stuff it's a case of drawing up a budget and then keepng a spending diary - not exactly hi tech but kind of back to basics - that is often enough to scare me :)

Good Luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • *KT*
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have an orange phone (I saved up for an iPhone. I know I had debts. I know it made no sense. Please don't judge me) so try to go on Wednesday's if I can but it doesn't always suit. I love to get a cineworld card but the cinema I have walking distance from my flat is a vue, they have a kind of discount if you go again within a fortnight that I try to use when possible. I also use my student card.

I'll definitely be checking out the websites for freebies though. Cinema is totally my vice. Could be worse I suppose!
  • *KT*
    Options
    What have I done today?

Cinema stuff - I have now registered for all of the preview websites. Even if I only manage one or two over the year, that will be one or two less to pay for. As one of my identified vices, I feel like I'm doing something productive.

I checked the bank... I'm really going to struggle to get to payday. I have food in my cupboards and although there might be some weird combinations I'll not starve but I'm really worried about being able to pay for petrol. If the worst comes to the worst I can ask my dad for help (or even extend the overdraft) but I don't want to do either of those things. I didn't realise it was so bad this month.

It's time to get creative I think.

Wish me luck.

*KT*
  • *KT*
    Options
    OK, next task done. I've moved my audible subscription payment (£7.99pm and I would really miss it if it wasn't there) I was due to come out on 20th. I've moved it to 1st of every month. Being a POS and not a DD it is the one payment that I always forget about so this way it'll be out shortly after pay day and it isn't in danger of tipping me over my overdraft. This also gives me another £8 for petrol.

Right, I'm off to see if there is anything else I can juggle!

Oh dear, part of me is actually enjoying this, even if it is close enough to the edge to be stressful.

*KT*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport