We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange San Francisco GPS noobie question

2»

Comments

  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I didn't find one missing feature on the San Francisco (and I'm used to what should be there as I have a Nexus One on 2.2.1), other than the rotate gesture not working due to the digitizer not being up to it (just like the Nexus One, in fact).

    3D buildings where there, the vectored maps were there, 2 finger slide to tilt gesture was there and the compass rotate was there That's pretty much all the changes there are in v5 :huh:
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 771
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It only uses assisted GPS if told to. Really i don't see the point in the feature. My external GPS unit doesn't need assistance and it's 5 years old.
  • g4efe
    g4efe Posts: 23 Forumite
    Thanks for all your helpful comments and assistance. Am now the proud owner of an SF, freshly unlocked - giffgaff SIM with 10 ppund goodybag inserted. Now I have to make the decision whether to root de-Orange and upgrade the OS.

    Thanks again - Martin
  • g4efe
    g4efe Posts: 23 Forumite
    g4efe wrote: »
    Thanks for all your helpful comments and assistance. Am now the proud owner of an SF, freshly unlocked - giffgaff SIM with 10 ppund goodybag inserted. Now I have to make the decision whether to root de-Orange and upgrade the OS.

    Thanks again - Martin

    And, yes: I did it! rooted and debranded and installed the Jellyfish ROM.

    For some reason I can't paste the link in here (anti-spam measure) when others obviously have been able to. So cut and paste the following into Google...

    The Ultimate Resource Site For The Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade


    which was 100 percent accurate. Took about an hour. Thanks again, everybody
  • PlasticMan_2
    PlasticMan_2 Posts: 57
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 12:30AM
    Interesting thread. I have the 5800, and I do like it - particularly the free offline mapping which all Nokias have. It's not just the data cost. Often if I'm lost I also lose my signal and Google maps suddenly becomes useless.

    But I just bought the Orange SF for the wife, and rooted it, installed a Froyo mod, got rid of the Orange crapware etc. Took me about an hour too. Admittedly the San Francisco with android is much quicker and nicer to use than the 5800, as well as being half the price. I used this guide and Paul's r4 beta7-11 rom.

    At least the 5800 hasn't dropped in price over the last 18 months... Tempted to "recycle" mine and get myself an SF as well. Free angry birds, and I'd recommend joining the Swype android beta for very handy quick text entry.

    Hope you're enjoying the new phone Martin. Don't know where you got it but if anyone else is interested Argos are selling them for 10 pounds less than Orange (cashback not considered).

    Update: I just googled your suggested site (link) and it is very clear and helpful, as well as having adverts for the Argos phones!
  • g4efe - how are you finding giffgaff.

    My daughter just got a SF (1st one was faulty but after trying other phones and not liking them as much I got a replacement from Orange and thankfully all ok and no wifi/internet problems). However she is getting through the pounds very quickly on the dolphin payg package - she likes to text and download apps and go on the internet. So I am going to be brave and unlock phone and already have a giffgaff sim and a tesco sim at the ready. The 02 signal is apparently good in our area of richmond.

    Any problems for you so far?

    Thanks

    richmondhc
  • barjam_2
    barjam_2 Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    go for it regarding giffgaff i have myself and 3 kids on it, and trying to get others on when their contacts expire, i dont use many minutes so i have the hokey cokey goodybag so does my daughter, my boys have the £10 goodybag, o2 signal is not the best in my house but we get by,

    try it out see what you think you're not tied into it like a contract
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.