We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Minimum call duration use within free minutes allowance

Avs_2
Avs_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
Hi,
Hope someone can clear things up for me.
I have seen my Virgin Mobile bill and it is now clear that the reason why I have gone over my allowance is that any call I make under 1 minute, still uses up a full minute of my allowance..............so if I make 5 x 12 second calls, they will still take up 5 minutes of my allowance.

Is this the case for all networks ?
Is there a website where I can compare exaclty this issue ?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,933
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I believe they all work on a minimum one minute now (unless someone can correct me ?).
  • Avs_2
    Avs_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply Jon.....I guess there is no real difference then if I stick with any of the major networks or Virgin or even the new Tesco Sim offer if they all charge in the same way......just go to the one who has the best offer I guess (as long as their reception is acceptable where I live).

    Any other words from the wise out there about the unfair usage of inclusive minutes ?
  • I'm on T-mobile and my allowance is counted by seconds i.e Just checked my allowance and I have 263 mins and 48 seconds left. I'm pretty sure other networks use minute by minute allowances.
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think that most will charge a minimum of 1 minute, but then after the first minute it will be per second. Although I stand to be corrected.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Orange charge me by the second.
  • kier333
    kier333 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Vodafone charge by the second
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 11 January 2011 at 7:06PM
    Orange charge me by the second, which is really important for me as I only tend to use my mobile for short calls (my small allowance of 50 minutes a month usually can often cover over 100 phone calls).

    Are you on a monthly bill with an inclusive allowance
    OR
    Are you on PAYG with a "bundle/extra/bolt on/top up reward" of minutes?

    I think this could be the difference, but I may be wrong.

    For serious "short callers", the phone co-op's 7p/min tariff (no inclusive minutes) charges by the second with a low 1.2p minimum call charge. The 5 12 second calls you mention would cost a total of 6p. Downside is that all texts are 7p each and there is £2/month line rental, so unlikely to be moneysaving for many people.
    http://www.thephone.coop/residential/payu
  • Bikertov
    Bikertov Posts: 1,598
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Voadfone are definately no minimum duration (ie by the second) on inclusive calls, but do charge a minimum of 12p or so once you go over your allowance.
  • Avs_2
    Avs_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Thank you all for your help...seems that virgin mobile has this downfall compared to the competition.

    what about Tesco mobile....does there allowance decrease by the second as well even when below 1 minute ?
  • swanswan1
    swanswan1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2011 at 12:37AM
    Orange no longer charges just per second, there's a minute minimum.

    "From 4 January 2011, all voice calls outside allowance will be subject to
    minimum call charge of 1 minute, then charge per second."

    Hence why I've been stung for 60 minutes of call time rather than about 60 2 second calls.
    They should really tell you these things.
    With not being informed, should I be liable for the cost?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.