Existing BT Yahoo! Broadband 512Kb - claim 25% off for 4 months?

Options
I've been with BT Broadband for 3+ years, and the price differential between their BT Yahoo! Broadband 512Kb service at £27.99pm (£26.98 if direct debit) and eg AOL new 512Kb Silver at £17.99 has got SO wide in the last few weeks it forced me into action at long last.

As you can read elsewhere BT Yahoo! INTEND to not reduce their prices, but to upgrade existing customers to higher speeds - eg 1Mbit (though I'm suspicious I'm too far from the exchange to get that anyway).

Phoned them today on their cancellation line to say it was time to leave as they're too expensive - phone 0800 085 2819 then cancel ->1 and broadband ->2.

Anyway to keep me they offered me 25% off - ie £20.24pm - for 4 months so that I can see what the new upgraded service will be like. Which seemed a reasonable offer to me and saved me £27.00 over 4 months for a 5 minute freephone call.

No idea how long this 'stay with us and see' discount is being offered for, or to whom, but worth a try if you're embarassed to be paying BT so much for your broadband service.

Also found out that as a very early adapter with 'engineer installed' Broadband, I am going to be unable to migrate with a MAC to another ADSL provider, but will have to cancel and start a new ADSL service. Still hopefully then will be able to swap to BT Yahoo! Anytime to keep my email addresses...

Comments

• rj500
    Options
    Thanks for the tip - Just called and was offered 4 months at £20 or the 1meg service for the same amount. Opted for the reduction for 4 months.
  • mckenm1m
    Options
    Be careful. As part of this offer they are no longer offering unlimited usage. Once you go over your limit they will charge you for downloads.

:mad:
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I did this a couple of weeks ago, (there is another thread somewhere), they confirmed I would not be charged any extra for usage and my service would be the same only cheaper for 4 months. They also said they are looking at the deal and when this offer finishes to call again for the next offer.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Same here, AND seem to have jumped the queue for the free upgrade to 2Meg connection.
  • mitesh
    mitesh Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, I also called & got them to give me a deal for £20.24 for the next 4 months.

I asked them for a deal to upgrade to the 2MB Service & they said that there are no deals currently.

However they did say that all customers will be upgraded to the 2MB service in phases at no extra cost.

I am not sure if this is true but time will tell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure