PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Yuk! Insect problem

Options
Ooooohhh have icky insect problem! In my bathroom are (thankfully just the odd 1 or 2 at a time) insect cocoons. They are the size and colour (dark blue!) of a tuft of my carpet which is what I thought they were at first, although thought it odd as they are attached to the wall or ceiling!
Inside is a little grubby thing:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . Am assuming they have eaten the carpet to make cocoon?

Any ideas - have never seen then before, and have only started appearing in last month or 2, coincidentally a few months after installing a power shower which is too strong for cubicle so walls are damp and crumbling next to cubicle (is not as bad as it sounds!). Am having new cubicle & tiled floor fitted - is it likely to stop or will they multiply and eat me during the night:confused:

Not carpet beetles - twice the length of them.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
:) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
"Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"

Comments

• pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oops wrong button :o

Clothes moths make cocoons the same colour as the material the larvae ate, but I don't know what they look like!
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • Twinny99
    Twinny99 Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ali007 wrote:
    Inside is a little grubby thing:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . Am assuming they have eaten the carpet to make cocoon?

will they multiply and eat me during the night:confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

new carpet?? bare floorboards??
  • RoCas
    RoCas Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you can take a picture, Ali, and post it here? Maybe we could google it for you.
  • Gryfon
    Gryfon Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    My first thought would be carpet beetles though I can't find any pictures of their cocoons...just the bugs and larvae.

So if you get rid of the carpet you should get rid of the beetles!

http://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/pestcontrol-carpetbeetle.htm
    Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Finally caught one in action climbing the bathroom wall :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

It looks like it has a face!!!!!!

Can someone please tell me how to insert a piccie from my PC??????

Yuk gross!!!!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a great step by step guide on this, written by sra, here:-

Pictures

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Squeaky, thanks for that, another IT problem solved!

Well, here it is. It's not a wind-up, it really does look as if it has a face :eek: :eek:

It's about 1cm long (longer when head sticks out :eek: :eek: ). (At least it was that long, is now in toilet bowl heaven)

Any ideas folks?

dscf0884se5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport