Great 'What's your biggest ever waste of Money?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• the_juggler_2
    the_juggler_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2011 at 11:59PM
    Options
    1)Got to be a Pandora bracelet that I kicked up a fuss about at christmas only to find that on Jan 4th the price of charms went up from £5.00 to £10.00 each charm..shame on you Pandora
    2)Jar of Cranberry sauce that not one person in my family likes but each year I buy one
    3)Moving from pay as you go to contract when I hardly use my phone anyway
    4)Skysports..what sport is ever worth paying £28.00 a month for?
    I can think of many other things but it's actually starting to depress me...heres to better value in 2011:mad:
    also a Jack Pallance? I think that's his name huge lump of a juicer..which after juicing every fruit known to man took the enamel of mine and my sons teeth and cost a fortune in dental bills but the damage is not repairable
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The little ones are...deep breathe

Two 18 month phone contracts, got 12 months ago, lost one phone, other broken and doesn't work, now using pay as you go and still paying for the contratcs. £10 each so £20 per month down the drain.

Insurance for both phones which I still haven't claimed on and which I'm paying £5.99 each per month...someone kick me please.

Numerous sheddy cars over the years.

Lateral thigh trainer...used once, then fell over it for the next three years until I finally got rid at a car boot sale.

There have been numerous (sometimes a bit drunk) ebay purchases of records never played and books never read.

All the clothes that I never tried on in the shop and bought by eye...have very poor eyesight...never fitted, never took them back for a refund.

The 5 inch Iron Fist Zombie Stomper shoes I had to have ...trouble is I walk with a walking stick due to Lyme Disease damage and erm....lets just say I could technically wear them, just not walk in them.

The many thousands of sandwiches I've bought because I'm too disorganised to make my own.

The discounted food that has rotted away because I've, yet again, forgotton what I've got in the fridge and it goes off.

The biggie, £40,000 on a house in Turkey....only to be conned by the Turkish estate agent who stole all our money, we then had to find some more 1000's (got a loan) to get our house back only to find the git had taken loans out against it and the Turkish banks took our house despite us 'winning' the case!!

Think that's it.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • kikboy
    kikboy Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Fred56 wrote: »
    The world's worst money wasters
    1. Cars - no explanation needed
    2. Foreign Holidays - I can't think of any that have been worth it, most deeply disappointing.
    3. Moving home - huge con - you young people, just decide how big a house you need, buy it and stay there for life.

Very insightful - I like it :o
  • Mongkut
    Options
    Biggest loss was on wool carpet for lounge, diner, hall stairs and landing - cost over £2500 - saved for years and took a difficult summer job to get the balance. All well until year four when I noticed a bald patch under a radiator valve - thought a leak had caused it. Then noticed lots of moths flying about downstairs............ Yes, you got it - the little beggars had eaten very cleverly outwards from the skirting boards ( look out for the small larvae cases like grains of rice. ) Started to see the moths upstairs last year, so had to cut my losses and have removed the lounge and dining room carpet. Keeping my eye on what's left to see if they start there. It was a beautiful carpet, but I have learned my lesson.
  • gambleruk
    Options
    Ok I'm going to throw one in there and see if anyone else agrees. Denplan - I pay £20 per month (goes up every year) for private dental treatment, I have been doing this for nearly 10 years and every time I go for a check up get a clean bill of health. Big difference before I paid privately and always seemed to need a filling etc :(
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some of those gadgets, expertly demonstrated, at the Ideal Home Exhibition in days gone by, which when bought home never seem to work so effectively and gathered dust in a cupboard somewhere.

And silly items like banana tree ripeners and avocado pear slicers advertised in Lakeland's catalogues.
  • laurenweird
    Options
    Well, I am only 22 so still plenty of time to make mistakes :( but the biggie I can think is buying a second hand washing machine for £70 (my grandma assured me her friend was reliable) only for it to flood the house a week later :mad:

Oh, and then a man said he would do our garden for £20, so I thought that was quite good. Then he said it was taking him a while so would cost £40, so I was ok....then he didn't finish the job and said he would come back the next day but required payment now...so I paid him the £40 and he never came back. Lesson learnt I guess - I always so no to people that come knocking on my door now!!!

I can't think of many more, I'm very careful with my money. Don't even like getting the bus as it costs so I walk most places :rotfl:
  • LittlePrincessAnge
    Options
    Paying a "gentleman" who knocked on the door offering his gardening services £80 to remove a tree from the front garden.
    Great I thought, I've been wanting that pulled out for ages, left him with a cup of coffee while I carried on with the housework, 5 minutes later I heard a chain saw, 10 minutes later I heard a van start, 12 minutes later went out to inspect his handy work yes you've guessed it... tree gone, coffee mug gone too & stump left!!
    OH was not best pleased at being £80 down & having to remove the stump himself!!!!!
    :mad:

Ahh well you live & learn, I was more upset he'd taken my coffee mug!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Denando
    Denando Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    6. Mulberry Bayswater bag - received an email offering 25% off - good deal so brought the bag. Never been used - still in the packaging as I don't like "new" bags.

[/QUOTE]

Oooh. I love the Bayswater but have so far resisted. Do you want to sell it?
  • KMK
    KMK Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    Many years ago I bought lovely woolen Berber carpet in cream. Yes cream! Needless to say, it looked great for about 3 months and then it began to show every mark, and no amount of cleaning restored it. Never again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure