Can I change my daily withdrawal limit on a Current Account?

Options
Good afternoon everyone,

Is it possible to change my daily withdrawal limit on my Current Account? I hold my account with RBS and as a result of my situation at this moment in time I feel that I'd rather have it set to a much lower amount because I go through phases of buying things I don't particularly need or want and have taken to hiding my bank card but still can't resist the tempation to buy unecessary things when out with family and friends to the shops. I'd prefer to have it reduced from the £300 to something more reasonable like £100 - £150, is this possible? say in future I'd like it raised above and beyond the £300, is that possible too? Thank you for your help :)

Comments

• Olipro
    Olipro Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    yes, they can certainly do this, they'll generally be a bit wary of authorising you for anything more than £500 but I wouldn't think there's any issue with reducing it.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it possible to change my daily withdrawal limit on my Current Account?

That limit (of £300 in your case) is for cash withdrawals.
    There are no limits (within reason and within your balance) for card transactions.

Some banks, I believe, will have a limit on the number of card transaction within day (maybe not more than 10 per day or so).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    15 per day with Lloyds TSB , i believe it is 12 with Santander and 10 with RBS and HBOS
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    edited 2 January at 4:00PM
    Options
    vinh1000 wrote: »
    15 per day with Lloyds TSB , i believe it is 12 with Santander and 10 with RBS and HBOS

I've never been aware of any transactional limits on debit card payments* (and never come up against any). A large amount of transactions may prompt a security check, but you don't hit an invisible wall after x transactions. If there is such a thing, ten seems very low.

*I can only speak from experience with Lloyds TSB and Bank of Scotland.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely if there is such a limit banks would need to warn customers. I tend to make most of my transactions on one day each week, I'd welcome clarification if such a limit does exist
  • Wasteofspace
    Options
    Banks do limit the number of card transactions but as far as I was aware it was a monthly limit. It's all in those terms and conditions books we never bother to read. :rotfl:
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    It's all in those terms and conditions books we never bother to read. :rotfl:

I don't think so ... I always read the T&Cs, and have never seen anything about a limit to the number of debit card transactions that I can do.
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's absolutely no limit on RBS/Natwest cards whatever the poster above states.
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    I want a limit on the amount of money I can take out weekly, someone once told me you can set anything up like that with a bank in a contract?
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Options
    I want a limit on the amount of money I can take out weekly, someone once told me you can set anything up like that with a bank in a contract?

I've never heard of such a thing. Perhaps in the realms of the super-rich where a banking "relationship" is on a more even keel, but for us mere mortals, the bank writes the T&C's, we agree to them, otherwise, tough tattie.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure