🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cell Phone for a 16-year old boy

Options
My grandson is turning 16 years old at the end of the month and I would like to offer him a cell phone, but I don't know what they like at this age. I don't even have a cell phone myself. Can you please help me?

Comments

• richiehp
    richiehp Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    And I forgot to ask about how much you think it will cost me. Thank you very much.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well do you have a price in mind ?

we could suggest alot of phones and they could more expensive than what you could afford,

personally id suggest 1 thats about £100, if it gets damaged 1 way or another then its not much lost

why not ask him which 1 he would like

is 1 needed at 16, i never had 1 till i was 19
  • richiehp
    Options
    My grandson has been asking for one, maybe because his friends have one. £100 sounds like a fair price to me. I didn't want to ask him because it is a surprise, but really I wanted to see if you knew what brands young people like. There are so many phones in the market.
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The SanFrancisco from Orange is a very popular phone at the moment. Good specification and fits your price point perfectly.
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    Maybe he would rather a BlackBerry? A lot of young people these days have BlackBerrys, because they have a service built-in called BlackBerry Messenger. It enables people with a BlackBerry to text each other for free.

Decent BlackBerrys start at around £129

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/BLACKBERRY-CURVE-8520/PPAY&clearance=false
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • wdw2003
    wdw2003 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My experience as a father of two teenage girls (now 16 and 19) over the last few years is that if you don't get it right, then the phone will be abused and constantly moaned about until you wish you'd spent more in the first place rather than buying cheap ones more frequently.

To cut a long story short, they both got Blackberry Bold 9700s last year on contract at £25/month (older one paying herself) and they love them. No complaints at all and they don't even hanker after an iphone as their friends' ones all break down. Apparently the BB instant messenger is popular as most of their friends have BBs.

I gather the PAYG BB Curves are socially acceptable and the next best thing, although by the time you (or your grandson or his parents) add in the BB sim, you're not far off the Bold contract price.
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    Don't make it a surprise gift. Ask him what phone he wants specifically, teens are very picky about their phones and the slightest thing he doesn't like will turn into that gift being the worst ever.

Even better, find out how much the phone he wants costs then give him the money to buy it himself with. He then gets the gift he wants, you've played your part, he cannot grumble when three months down the line it is the wrong phone suddenly.
  • richiehp
    Options
    Don't make it a surprise gift. Ask him what phone he wants specifically, teens are very picky about their phones and the slightest thing he doesn't like will turn into that gift being the worst ever.

Even better, find out how much the phone he wants costs then give him the money to buy it himself with. He then gets the gift he wants, you've played your part, he cannot grumble when three months down the line it is the wrong phone suddenly.

I think you are right. I will just ask him. It will be easier than disappointing him if it's not what he was hoping for.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or if he's local why not go shopping with him? It would be a nice trip for you both I suspect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport