Tesco Grocery - delivery area

Options
After a new Tesco opened 9 miles away I though I might finally be able to get my groceries delivered - it would be much easier than the weekly trip with hubby and 8 month old!

But after waiting and waiting I find that they will not deliver to my village BUT will deliver to the town 7 miles past me - having to go THROUGH my village to get there!!!

I was so annoyed that I contacted Tesco Customer Services to be told that they have no plans to deliver to the village - although they already drive through it on deliveries to the surrounding areas!!! - and they would not consider it until they had at least 40 interested addresses. I live in a small village, mostly ageing population, and there is nowhere on Tesco website to register interest.

I like shopping at tesco due to their low prices on the things I need, the Clubcard scheme and the vouchers they send me for baby items, so I do not want to change supermarkets.

Am I getting annoyed for nothing!!!

Comments

• Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    It doesn't seem sensible to you or me but presumably Tesco have made a commercial decision to be contrary. :(
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    How new is the store? Tesco stores don't do dot com deliveries for the first year of opening. Is it possible that the other villages are being served by another store?
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless you can get a ton of people to contact them to get delivery in your village, the only other thing I can think of is local newspapers or even the Sun, I believe they love this sort of stuff.

I can see the headline already. Not a front page turner but some filler inside.
    Tescos Disturb Village but refuse to deliver. Or Tesco Too Big for Small Village.

Edit* Could Also be like CG19a says, (unless you see Tesco Delivery Vans at the store)
  • cloandharry
    Options
    It is definetely from that store as I see the vans coming and going when I am in doing my shopping.

Before the store opened my nearest one was 30 miles away, as was my nearest Asda (they are side by side) and I could get ASDA groceries delivered but not Tesco.

The more I think about it the more annoyed :mad: I get - I know my neighbours started getting ASDA groceries delivered after they saw the van at my door, so they are missing advertising really. Might pitch that to them when I next speak to customer services (who I have to add were very nice and appologetic).
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    These 40 interested people - are they intending to deliver to them all on one trip? If not, what difference does it make how many people want deliveries (especially if they drive through the village anyway)?
  • cloandharry
    Options
    Tesco replied to my next e-mail saying that their delivery computer says my postcode is too far away.

Store: TD15 2X

My postcode: TD11 3W (11 miles from store)

Town past me they will deliver to: TD11 3A (17 miles from store)

What a load of c**p. I have sent another e-mail saying as above. They are just winding me up now.
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tesco replied to my next e-mail saying that their delivery computer says my postcode is too far away.

What a load of c**p. I have sent another e-mail saying as above. They are just winding me up now.

11 miles too far?
    Thats madness back where my parents live out in the sticks the nearest Tesco is about 20 miles away and yet they still do deliveries.....

Really don't see how they can deliver further away and not closer....makes no sence. Keep on at them!
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• natmark
    natmark Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    This post is very interesting, I thought I was the only person Tesco has decided to ignore.
    I asked Tesco three years ago when they would be starting home deliveries in my area: three years later nothing! I have tried everything! I live approx 16 miles from Cardiff so I am close to several stores and there are approx 500 houses on our estate.
    These are a couple of the replies I have received lately:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to myself in regards to this matter.
    Once again, I apologise for the delay in getting back to you and hope it hasn't
    caused you too much of an inconvenience.

Further to your email, I've spoken with our Business Support Team on this matter
    and they've informed me that this may take a few weeks to become available to
    yourself. Although the store agreed they can start delivering as soon as
    possible, the matter of updating our systems is causing this to take slightly
    longer.

You're post code is not registered and, therefore, making it available to
    yourself will also do the same for many other customers in your area. Although
    we're pleased to be able to provide our services to more customers, I've been
    informed that this may take time.

I apologise for any further inconvenience this may have caused you, but I now
    hope you know why this is taking so long. Thank you for your patience and if you
    have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact me at
    [EMAIL="online@tesco.co.uk"]online@tesco.co.uk[/EMAIL] quoting

This email was followed by this one:

I'm sorry to hear that you have not been able to place a grocery order for
    delivery. I understand how frustrating this must be for you.

Generally, we'll deliver anywhere within a 25-minute drive from the store. This
    is to help us maintain standards and to make sure we deliver to our customers
    within their chosen 2-hour delivery slot.

But as the orders are 'sorted' by our computer systems we need to use postcodes.
    As you know, postcodes have 2 parts: the first part specifies the town and the
    second part the area. If any part of this area is further than a 25-minute drive
    from the store our system identifies the address as being too far away.

We are working very hard towards widening the areas for our grocery and wine
    deliveries and hopefully we'll be able to offer this to you, in the near future.

Further to this, we have been working really hard to expand our grocery home
    shopping delivery service. We now offer this service to around 97% of the UK but
    there are still some homes that we can't make deliveries to.

We are continuing to expand the service and if we come to your area we will
    advertise this in your local Tesco store.

Even though you are unable to buy groceries online, we do have a large range of
    other stores and service that you may be interested in.

I apologise that I can't help you any further with this. Thank you for taking
    the time to ask me about this.

Hopefully you will have more luck, all the best.
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Options
    I object to TeSainDa delivering on my estate after 7 pm and on Sunday's. We have had vans turn up, at 11:30 in the evening, to me that is far too late.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

have you explained your closer to the store than the town thats 17 miles away
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure