ARGH!!! Wedding fabric woes!!

Options
Hello all,

I have been looking for the perfect fabric for my wedding dress for a while now, and thought I had found the perfect fabric - until I enquired about the price!! It is £70 a meter!!! :eek:

Can anyone help me find a cheaper alternative? I'm willing to pay up to £30 a meter. I'm looking for a Brocatelle or Brocade in a pale gold colour. I'm very sad I can't afford this fabric, but my moneysaving habits are too strong to let me :p

Comments

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you far from Mostyn? (I'm crap at Geography sorry!)

These guys are great (well i am biased, used to work for them) and have a huge selection of bridal fabrics

http://www.abakhanfabrics.co.uk/
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • linzibean
    linzibean Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly it's miles away :rotfl: as everything is round here! But it looks good, thnak you, I will look into their ranges :)
  • fruitycar
    fruitycar Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried contacting Abakhan to see if they would do a mail order for you? Try also
    Craftswoman fabrics https://www.craftswomanfabric.co.uk for phone number,
    Fabricland https://www.fabricland.co.uk,
    Dapet textiles https://www.dapet.co.uk
    and
    BL joshi Find them at: BL Joshi (UK) Ltd, 212-214 Ealing Road, Wembley, Middlesex, HA0 4QG; Phone: 0208 903 0653; Fax: 0208 902 2702: email: bljoshiuk@aol.com
    I have used all of these for bridal, dressmaking and for stage costumes and have excellent service from all of them, always helpful and willing to send out samples.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can order samples of fabrics and the actual fabric from John Lewis in London.
    We went to London for the day to choose my wedding dress fabric and got samples and then mum ordered by phone. When she got married 30+ years ago she rang to ask for samples and then ordered via phone.

Worth giving them a ring and asking. They were very nice and helpful on the phone too apparently. ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • redsetter03
    Options
    i had my weddng dress made for me by a friend- green with a cream bolero.

I don`t know if it`s any help at all, but we travelled to Moseley, in Birmingham and visited the indian shops.....all the material was sari material, and cost about £70.00.

I`ve never seen such a wide range of beautiful fabrics.

It`s certainly worth having a look if you can get up that way at all.

Good luck!

redsetter.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    John Lewis - the fabric I had wasn't silk but was softer than the silk we'd looked at and looked wonderful!
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try truro fabrics in truro cornwall they are one of the lagest fabric suppliers in the uk, my aunt rings then from london and describes what she wants and they send her samples, she then orders over the phone, i know it may sound odd that somewhere so out of the way has such a stock but my aunt recons they are the best she knows of!! good luck jane
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]. :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure