MSE News: N&P launches fee-free holiday debit card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
13 replies 4.4K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The society's Gold current account now has the only mass market debit card with no commission when used overseas ..."

Replies

• N&P are "mass market"?

If you say so!
  • DegenerateDegenerate Forumite
    2.2K posts
    opinions4u wrote: »
    N&P are "mass market"?

If you say so!

I presume they mean "available to all in the UK", as opposed to Cumberland BS who only take on customers in their branch area, and Metro bank who only allow account opening in person at their London branches.
  • poppy10_2poppy10_2 Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a decent deal. Too many catches for me though - I would never make it my primary current account to receive my wages when it is paying 0% credit interest, and it would be too much hassle remembering to make a £500 payment/5 transactions each month. Overdraft £5 fee and 18% interest even for authorized overdrafts is pretty harsh, otherwise I might take a risk direct-debiting in a £500 deposit and sweeping it out each month.

I'll stick with my Abbey Zero credit card.
    poppy10
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    So would this work if I set up a standing order to pay 1p in the account five times a month?
  • divochdivoch Forumite
    23 posts
    That is good question. Also, I presume, there is nothing to stop me to setup a standing order to deposit £500 and another one to transfer it out again few days later?
  • Unfortunately they have bumped up their charges elsewhere to compensate. I have been a customer for a lot of years but am leaving because it will now cost me far more to run my account each month - I always use my ovedraft but never exceed the limit, nor can I afford overseas holidays at the moment with 2 kids at uni so i get absolutely no benefit from their new holiday debit card or other overseas realted benefits. To add insult to injury they charged me for the printed bank statement I needed so i could move my account to another bank. Next thing will be to remove my mortgage from their clutches! All I would say, before you open an account, is check out all the other charges. You may find, like me, that you will be worse off rather than better off.
  • dougz_2dougz_2 Forumite
    523 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know, would I be able to online transfer funds kept in their e-saver account to spend immediately on the card? I am unsure what "your Account balance may not be updated until later that day" means in practice:
    19.4 Payments made by electronic transfer between your N&P accounts will be credited into the receiving Account as Available Funds at the time that the transfer is made. Transfers are made immediately and cannot be cancelled. However, your Account balance may not be updated until later that day.
    Also, how picky are they about who they accept i.e credit rating, income etc?
  • SaveTheEuroSaveTheEuro Forumite
    892 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to withdraw €300 using my N and P card without success. Machines threw up various messages such as "transaction declined" and "contact your bank." I rang N and P who said they couldn't understand why.

Having searched through the terms and conditions on the N and P website I noticed the maximum withdrawal is £250 (that's less than Santander). At current exchange rates €300 is just under or just over £250. I tried again, requesting €100, and finally I have some cash.

Sometimes life is hard work isn't it? All the cash machines had to do was say "try asking for a smaller sum."
  • HazzanetHazzanet Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    carenton wrote: »
    Unfortunately they have bumped up their charges elsewhere to compensate.

Have to agree; I was with them for 4 years - very happy with the service and never had any problems at all. I occasionally went into overdraft for a day or two each month, but the £5/pm charge for using it would have been silly to pay. Although I thought the service, this was too much to stomach so I've returned to Smile where I originally moved my banking from. :(
  • Hi Martin,

I have been trying to find the link for this account on both the Bank Account section and the Travel money section! I don't seem to be able to find it which surprises me when it is a market leading debit card for using abroad and you are writing about it as so.

Any reasons why no link?

Cheers
    Rachel
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support