So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Z, will respond on 'good or bad'.

Cheers.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • don0301
    don0301 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    time to put kettle on, and um, other stuff, for free! :D

img0227tz.jpg
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    don0301, is that OWL CT clamp just fitted on the inverter output or round the mains Meter tail?
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • don0301
    Options
    albyota wrote: »
    don0301, is that OWL CT clamp just fitted on the inverter output or round the mains Meter tail?

its just inverter output, the installers fitted it for me, inside the fuse box, so its really tidy installation.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Show off with your 49 deg panels. You just wait till June when my 20d and 30d panels are firing, then they'll be putting out nearly 3.3kW's and you'll be jealous ......... hang on .... how much ..... in January, no ......

Doh!

M.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    don0301 wrote: »
    its just inverter output, the installers fitted it for me, inside the fuse box, so its really tidy installation.
    Hi

Is there a difference between the OWL displayed power and the display on the Fronius ? .... also, have you checked the voltage setting on the OWL ?.

The OWL is only capable of measuring Current, it then multiplies this by an internal Voltage variable to calculate the Power ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • albyota
    Options
    don0301 wrote: »

I hope you understand that with the OWL CT clipped on to the cable that goes from the (AC100C ?) Generation meter to the MCB inside the consumer unit....the OWL will also pick up your other house electric use.

So, I have exactly the same set-up, as I sit here typing this the clouds have gone in front of the sun, SunnyBeam display shows 216Watts but the OWL is showing 1730Watts because my heat pump, fridge, possibly the freezer and the radio is on.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • don0301
    edited 21 January 2012 at 4:02PM
    Options
    albyota wrote: »
    I hope you understand that with the OWL CT clipped on to the cable that goes from the (AC100C ?) Generation meter to the MCB inside the consumer unit....the OWL will also pick up your other house electric use.

So, I have exactly the same set-up, as I sit here typing this the clouds have gone in front of the sun, SunnyBeam display shows 216Watts but the OWL is showing 1730Watts because my heat pump, fridge, possibly the freezer and the radio is on.

as i said, its connected to the output cable from the inverter. and no it doesnt pick up other house electric use.

and yes, i understand, and no you dont have the same setup. and i think the way you have it fitted is pointless IMO.
  • albyota
    Options
    My apologies then.

• don0301
    edited 22 January 2012 at 3:15PM
    Options
    no need. and i didnt mean to come across sharp if thats the perception.

I did research this, having got the monitor before having the panels installed.

I also got the installers to fit, as it was free cos they were here anyway :D

the errors in the monitor (for me) are it reads a constant 113W at night (or when the inverter isnt outputting). its been explained to me that's because of errors at very low currents. tho, why its always exactly a constant 113W i have no idea.

I also understand that the operating error is 5%.

taking that into account, and doing very fag packet maths my monitor is approx 5% over-reading my Generation meter. I emphasise thats real fag packet maths, because of what ive stated before, but shouldnt be more than a few % out.

i suppose i should explain my fag packet maths, as of tonight:

my generation meter is reading just under 300kWh, my monitor is reading 420kWh. this is since installation 53 days ago.

assuming 13 hours "nighttime" each day, thats 0.113kW*13*53=78kWh

assuming ? hours no output during each day, no idea but guess 4? so thats 0.113kW*4*53=24kWh

420-(78+24)=318

318/300*100=6% error
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport