Gallygirl's "A journey of 121,226.67 pounds begins with a single penny" diary

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for positive noises on tiles. Work is now going to start 5 days before we go on holiday so I'll be there while the wall gets knocked down which is what I wanted to see - there are different ceiling levels and wall depths. I may also get so see where the tiny ants are coming from :eek:. Lights bought at the weekend and also a chrome ceiling fan. Need to choose an accent colour still "what are you on about woman" said Mr GG. (Not for the first time :D). The kitchen will make such a difference to the house, it will incorporate wasted space and we're having an extra window so it will be lovely and bright :T. And I get toys such as pull out larders, built in bins and groovy corner carousels :D.

Trying to get my head round the fact we're off on holiday to the west coast of the USA for three weeks in em.......... three weeks time :o. I need to seriously think about what to pack - the average temperatures for where we're going range from lows of -3 to highs of 28. That's a lot of layers to add and subtract :eek:. I also need to carry on reading and planning what we can do - Mr GG would be happy to just wander round asking questions like 'what's that big bridge there', 'wow that's a big hole in the ground' and 'no I flaming well don't want my picture taken with a 6 foot mouse' :rotfl:. I do the research, we both benefit from it and I get to choose where we go :D.

Trying to recover from five friends staying for the week, fab fun but so much washing left :eek:. Also trying to cope with the dust coming in - still warm enough for windows open day and night, we have mossie screens everywhere but dust still comes it, specifically as we've had a few windy days. Am sitting in the sun room at the moment and it feels like I've got my own private beach under my feet :rotfl:.

All our friends are back at work today [STRIKE]( :rotfl: )[/STRIKE] which is a shame :(. They are all of a similar age to us and it made us realise what a wonderful life we have here - yes, we've worked hard for it and sacrificed a lot over the years but we're really reaping the benefits now and sometimes it's a reality check to see things through others eyes. Life is good :).

And now for more mundane matters such as the monthly money shuffle.
    :dance::dance::dance:Do the money shuffle, yeah, yeah. :dance::dance::dance:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • gallygirl
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    I need to seriously think about what to pack - the average temperatures for where we're going range from lows of -3 to highs of 28. That's a lot of layers to add and subtract :eek:.
    Well, if the long range forecast is correct, we'll be going from an overnight low of -1 (can someone explain what a - temperature is like, I can't remember :D) followed by a 5 hour journey and the temperature will then be 32 :cool:. That's a lot of layers to shed :rotfl:. Really looking forward to the scenery :j.

Kitchen now starting even earlier - 6 days :eek:.

Woke up with a headache after dreaming I wasn't feeling well - can't shift it, so no Pilates this morning and am wasting it footering about on here instead of sorting clothes for holiday out. Naughty GG :naughty:. Off to make amends.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope that headache shifts soon, Gally. I love that prior post - the one that includes Mr GG's objections to having his pic taken with the six foot mouse :rotfl: - that's a great summary of where you are. Even though I'm a bit older than you, I'm not where I want to be, but I'm *such* a lot further forward than I was. I'm grateful too, while still scheming to build more :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • gallygirl
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Hope that headache shifts soon, Gally.
    Yup, managed to shift it, or at least take my mind off it, by falling off a chair, spending a few hours in casualty and getting three stitches where the sun doesn't shine :rotfl:. Still, I can report that the Spanish equivalent of the NHS is pretty damned efficient and I did get to hear a lady in the late stages of labour :eek:.

Love your cheery posts KC :T.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ouch! Hope you mend quickly.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yikes! But at least you came away with a good story(!) ;)

Hope the lead up to the holiday is a lot more sedate henceforth!
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Yup, managed to shift it, or at least take my mind off it, by falling off a chair, spending a few hours in casualty and getting three stitches where the sun doesn't shine :rotfl:. Still, I can report that the Spanish equivalent of the NHS is pretty damned efficient and I did get to hear a lady in the late stages of labour :eek:.

Love your cheery posts KC :T.

Ouch - painkillers and a large glass of wine. More importantly how did you manage to fall off a chair in the first place?

Bon voyage for later and look forward seeing kitchen pics. We're off early Saturday 😋

Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you fall off a chair whilst trying to rest and recover from a headache ?????
    Only you :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Happy Hols and Kitchen.

Ouch to injury - hope you feel better soon.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    How did you fall off a chair whilst trying to rest and recover from a headache ?????
    Only you :)
    Yup, this! I do that, though ;).

Take it easy today, yes?
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts