PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

tax return for rental income - less than personal allowance

Options
We purchased a property last year without mortgage in my OH name. Funds were from estate following the sale of the parents property.

This property is now rented with an income of less than £6k. Am I correct in assuming that I need to complete a SA form for her? or is this not required as income is less than the personal allowance.

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Assume nothing where the Revenue are concerned! Why don't you ring them up and ask them?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Does she have no other income and is the property in her name only?
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    jase_31 wrote: »
    We purchased a property last year without mortgage in my OH name. Funds were from estate following the sale of the parents property.

This property is now rented with an income of less than £6k. Am I correct in assuming that I need to complete a SA form for her? or is this not required as income is less than the personal allowance.

No, SHE needs to complete a SA form even if its trading at a loss.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 January 2011 at 12:06AM
    Options

This property is now rented with an income of less than £6k. Am I correct in assuming that I need to complete a SA form for her? Only if you are her accountant or is this not required as income is less than the personal allowance.The rental income needs declaring even if she has no other income and therefore does not owe tax
    See details here.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    If you do not fill in a tax return and thus HMRC believes you have transgressed in some way, you cannot be fined (AFAIK - and I could be wrong) if you do not physically owe any tax (because rental income is wholly covered by your PA). This always used to be the case when it came to my tax return (but this was based on me being an employee) - for eg the £100 late completion penalty did not apply if you didn't owe any tax, irrespective of when you sent the return in.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    If you do not fill in a tax return and thus HMRC believes you have transgressed in some way, you cannot be fined (AFAIK - and I could be wrong) if you do not physically owe any tax (because rental income is wholly covered by your PA). This always used to be the case when it came to my tax return (but this was based on me being an employee) - for eg the £100 late completion penalty did not apply if you didn't owe any tax, irrespective of when you sent the return in.

On self assessment if HMRC doesn't receive your tax return before the filing deadline, you *will* be charged an automatic £100 penalty, in addition to any interest on tax that would be payable. You'll only get away without that penalty in very specific circumstances, if you have what the HMRC decides is a "reasonable excuse" ie, heart attack/other life threatening illness that prevented you from making the return on time( Other examples are the loss of necessary doc through fire or flood leaving you with insufficient time to obtain copies, or the death of your partner around the filing deadline)

If you don't file on time HMRC can also estimate what they think should be due and charge you interest on that amount until you *do* file. Given that you have until 31 Jan in the year following the end of the relevant tax year most people have no excuse for not getting the return in on time.
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    agreed you will be charged, however if on submitting your tax return you don't owe any tax this charge will be removed.
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    If you do not fill in a tax return and thus HMRC believes you have transgressed in some way, you cannot be fined (AFAIK - and I could be wrong) if you do not physically owe any tax (because rental income is wholly covered by your PA).

They can also estimate how much tax they think you owe and then you have to prove you don't.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    They can also estimate how much tax they think you owe and then you have to prove you don't.

And that estimate is based on THE REGIONAL AVERAGE profit for the sector. So if you're a struggling one man garage barely breaking even but every other garage in the area is making £100k profit, the bill you will be sent will be based on £100k profit.

Just a thought to ponder....
  • Trollfever
    Trollfever Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    Don't mess with HMRC and don't upset anybody.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tax-evasion/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport