Mbna additional card holder deceased

Options
Can anyone help me some I held a mbna credit card since 2000 placed my father on it as an additional credit card , not living at my address mbna changed all details the bills was going to him , he was the only one using the card ,m my primary card had never been used, now he has passed away the account had gone to default which i wasnt aware of as all the mail had been going to my mothers address , and we fell out over this card it been passed over to debt recovery , i have asked for legals but the send me half of them , not counter signed and the t&c with m,y parents address on, i have also been aware that mbna , shouldnt have accepted father as additional card holder as he didnt reside at my primary address
hope to hear some good new soon
HAPPY 2011

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you the primary card holder?
    Why did MBNA not send correspondance to you?
    Was this at your request?

Sounds very odd, because on the face of it, you are liable as the primary card holder, but they should definitely be corresponding with you (unless you told them to see mail elsewhere in which case you cannot blame them for not getting the mail).
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're the primary account holder you are responsible.... up to you to keep tabs on it or suffer the consequences I'm afraid.

Good news is the default will drop off after 6 years :T
  • ourbabyboo1
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »

Sounds very odd, because on the face of it, you are liable as the primary card holder, but they should definitely be corresponding with you (unless you told them to see mail elsewhere in which case you cannot blame them for not getting the mail).
    yes i am primary card holder but when i added my fathers details they added his billing address but i have just been advised, unsure if correct that the additional card holder should be at primary card holders address and they cant legally chase me for this debt also re legals and complete
  • ourbabyboo1
    Options
    JasX wrote: »
    You're the primary account holder you are responsible.... up to you to keep tabs on it or suffer the consequences I'm afraid.

Good news is the default will drop off after 6 years :T
    i was led to believe that defaults cannot be enforced if never actually received by myself , and as that they had been sent to my fathers billing address dont know how correct this is
  • ironlady2022
    Options
    I'm guessing because someone else lived at your address, mail may have been returned by new residents. And MBNA have taken the initiative to send the mail to your Father hoping he would be in touch. Was it addressed to you but to your Father's address? As far as I know you are the primary card holder and if you have a secondary card holder then you are responsible, if it's a case of you not using it, then even so, you should have called them up. Updating new address should have been one of the most important things to do with every company.
  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    what address was the card taken out, and in whos name...end of
  • ourbabyboo1
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »

mayling03 wrote: »
    I'm guessing because someone else lived at your address, mail may have been returned by new residents. And MBNA have taken the initiative to send the mail to your Father hoping he would be in touch. Was it addressed to you but to your Father's address? As far as I know you are the primary card holder and if you have a secondary card holder then you are responsible, if it's a case of you not using it, then even so, you should have called them up. Updating new address should have been one of the most important things to do with every company.
    i never moved lived at same address for 0ver 15 years my father who was additional card holder raised the debt and was paying it off untill he passed away. the card the bills was sent to the additional card holder , i am no way trying to get out of any debt that i have raised or condone that ,but this is a debt that was not down to me and accordingly to mnba t&c additional card holders must reside at primary address , which my father wasnt ,
    Also i saw on this website about credit card legals mbna are not helping with that by not returning the true legals counter signed and also correct t&c relevant to that acct
  • sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    Options
    This is a really convoluted and confusing story for something that should be very easy to understand.

I smell someone trying to squirm out of their obligations.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think what you are trying to say is whn you made your father an additional card holder you changed the details so that the bills went direct to his house for payment. Is that correct? If so then you changed the address, they are not pyschic and would not query this address change. As has been said it was still your responsiblity and you must now repay the balance, if it already has a default on it you may be able to discuss with them the removal of this but I doubt it.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    You are the Primary card holder, its your account, you have to pay the debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure