Frozen Pipes - any help 9 days

Options
I have not had any water for 9 days. The stopcock is in a garage and I have done all the practical measures.
(i) heating the area around the stopcock (3 days)
(ii) Heating the pipework in the house (all lagged)
(iii) Central heating is on in house (but on a closed loop as it is a combi).
(iv) Outside supply there is 10 yds of driveway to the mains stopcock) ... noticed water meter dial not wurling around.

No other neighbours have problems (contacted Yorkshire Water ... not their problem).
Contacted Home Emergency on House Insurance 28th Dec (would send a plumber not until 7th Jan).
Contacted Home Insurance (building policy) regarding external waterpipe could be burst, but offered no assistance as no actual damage.

Any ideas/advice would be gratefully received.

What is the longest people have been without domestic water with frozen pipes? 2 votes

1 day
0% 0 votes
1 week
50% 1 vote
1 month
50% 1 vote
1 year
0% 0 votes

Comments

• bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i have water today all be it c old not enough pressure to fire boiler but the last water i had out my taps was 19th dec lol prior to that was 22ND NOVEMBER so since 22nd november i have had water 4 days out of my tap!!!
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • HTFCfan
    Options
    Me and my next door neighbour are the same we have had no water since the 22nd Dec. Yorkshire Water came out to have a look yesterday(The first time we have got any help). He had a look at mine and my neighbours water meter and took the meter heads off and poured boiling water down the pipe thinking the pipe was frozen.
    He told us to wait 5 mins but nothing happened. He then replaced the meter head with a plastic one and told us to keep pouring boiling water on every 20 mins (how can we when we have no water?). He then told us he would put in a report and send someone out to give us a flow check? and maybe dig up the road.
    If your meter isn't going round then there cant be a leak in your house or driveway, and if it is not in your boundary then it is not your responsibility but YWs so demand they come out. They probably think because the rest of the street is ok then yours should be, just like they did with ours.
    They were meant to come out today at our house to do the flow check but had a phone call saying they are coming out tomorrow hopefully. It has been an absolute nightmare but thank god for friends and family who we have got water from, also showers,and TOILET.
    Also we were told we cant claim any compensation, but we were rung later to be told they are looking into this?
    Hope yours and our water problem is resolved soon. p.s. seems strange alot of the people on here with problems are yorkshire water customers.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HTFCfan wrote: »
    p.s. seems strange alot of the people on here with problems are yorkshire water customers.
    Very cold up there. Few frozen pipes down here as we haven't had your temperatures.
  • smileyal
    Options
    I actually thawed out the pipe ..... hairdrier on the stopcock by the water meter ... with portable fan heater on the stopcock/water pipe exposed in the garage (several hours) .... eventually ... water flowed. However, got a slight leak on the pipework exposed in garage (but hopefully that will be fixed with the plumber coming out on 7th Jan).
    Hopefully you will get sorted out ... insurance contacted me a couple of days later to say ... get a local plumber out and they would reimburse via sending bill receipt (depends if you have home emergency cover on your insurance policy). Otherwise you are between a rock and a hardplace ... and have to wait for natural thawing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure