Calor Gas and Cooker

My cooker decided to blow up Christmas day ( Im sure they are set to do so by the manufacturers - you hear so many have the same tale of woe that day) and Im now looking a replacement

We are all electric - there is no mains gas

However already this year we had 6 days with no electricity and although we were ok for heating as we had stoves, cooking and making hot drinks was a bit of a bind

So Im thinking of getting a multi-fuel cooker - electric oven and gas hob - to run of the calor gas

Been given a price of around £ 200 for the gas pipe to be fitted by a gas safe engineer

Question is - how long do the bottles last if being used for the gas rings daily ? And whats the average cost of a refill? Thats cooking for two twice a day as a rule

If I get this sorted, then there's only the well to dig - most of the houses here been without water the past week - the joys of country living :rotfl:

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 481
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A 47kg bottle of propane lasts me 6-8 months (all gas cooker-no electric oven) last one cost about £60
  • Same as previous poster - that was with all gas ovens and rings.
    I now have electric ovens and gas rings and still on same 47kg bottle for over a year.
    Make sure your engineer has his LPG certificate, but that is about the correct price to pay (as long as the changeover valve is included in the price)
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Dont forget that at the first install you will need to get 2 bottles.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I, too, use bottled LPG for a cooker and get through about the same amount - 47kg in 7-8 months - so I'd reckon over a year if I was using the rings alone.

Be careful if you're shopping for stoves. I had to look pretty hard to find a non-range LPG type at all and when I did (a Cannon) I have to say it wasn't very good, despite all the views of those people who will tell you that Cannon are one of the best conventionally-styled cookers.

Sorry about your ruined Christmas. That must have been rotten for you.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    gas4you wrote: »
    Dont forget that at the first install you will need to get 2 bottles.

Why?

Seriously an explanation wouldnt go amiss
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Suki, I suspect his point was that it's hard to tell precisely when your gas bottle will run out (there are no gauges on them) so you need a spare to switch over to if it gives out in the middle of cooking Sunday lunch

I had an automatic changeover valve fitted as I didn't want to get caught out. As one bottle empties, it switches over to the spare and flags a red warning indicator on the unit, reminding you to order a new one.

Really sorry to hear about the water situation in NI, by the way. It must be awful.
  • suki1964
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Suki, I suspect his point was that it's hard to tell precisely when your gas bottle will run out (there are no gauges on them) so you need a spare to switch over to if it gives out in the middle of cooking Sunday lunch

I had an automatic changeover valve fitted as I didn't want to get caught out. As one bottle empties, it switches over to the spare and flags a red warning indicator on the unit, reminding you to order a new one.

Really sorry to hear about the water situation in NI, by the way. It must be awful.

Thanks for the explanation. I really hate when people make statements and don't explain the reasoning.

Luckily I have water for now. And if we get cut off the farm next door has a bore hole

Earlier in the year half the population was with out electricity ( me included) now most have no water. The longer I live here the more I think we are in a third world country The longer I live here the more I learn to prepare for anything. Hence the cooker failing Christmas day wasnt a total disaster :D
  • welda
    welda Posts: 600 Forumite
    Yo Suks, the bad weather has certainly tested you big time in all departments!! Still you move on better prepared with these learning curves.

Every day GB is leaning towards third world country status, we are no longer the great producer, H&W yard stand testament to this, along with other great yards in my neck of the woods.

I advise my lads to head to other points of the compass if they want to have a decent standard of living, some are actually there living the dream................sorry I digress ;)

:beer:
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Yes that was the reason. Gas bottles are usually fitted in pairs or with a boiler in fours. The auto change over valve swaps from the empty bottle to the full one so you should never run out of gas.
  • suki1964
    Forumite
    welda wrote: »
    Yo Suks, the bad weather has certainly tested you big time in all departments!! Still you move on better prepared with these learning curves.

Every day GB is leaning towards third world country status, we are no longer the great producer, H&W yard stand testament to this, along with other great yards in my neck of the woods.

I advise my lads to head to other points of the compass if they want to have a decent standard of living, some are actually there living the dream................sorry I digress ;)

:beer:

I tend to keep a sense of humour- I find it helps. :D

Plus I'm getting older and hopefully wiser. I don't worry about what I can't change.

There's a lot bad about living here but I wouldn't move anywhere else. Well ok I might move to an area that has mains sewers and gas :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure