PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Working late shift so fancied having breakfast for dinner IYKWIM. Was gonna have the whoopsied croissants when I got in, but had to go and buy jam to go with them, as I don't normally have jam in the house. But lo & behold, I bought a jar, went to put in in the cupboard after having my yummy croissants, and you guessed it, there's a full jar staring back at me!! :mad:

Not to worry, it keeps a long time doesn't it?

A wee spend of £3.74 today which I'll add shortly. I love reading all the posts on here, only thing is, it makes me want to go and cook all the scrummy recipes you all post!!:rotfl:

nite nite x
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    From what I have read I think 'huggisies' was a typo and was meant to be haggises :p

Yep - realized that now. Maybe I should delete my previous posts :o:o:o
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • rachelww1
    rachelww1 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    has anyone tried lidl dry cat food well i mean have they given it to there cat not tried it themselves :rotfl:

though someone might of ha ha

My cat is fine on l*dl cat food (i think it's called opticat but not sure) both pouches and dried. It's so much cheaper than even the other supermarkets own brands. He seems happy on it. Mind you, he seems happy on birds and mice :rotfl:
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Another NSD for me today. That makes 5/6 days where I've spent no money, and I only bought bread and milk when I did shop! Awesome! However, i do need, CORRECTION, I am going to go shopping tomorrow, but as there is lots in the house,, i only need to get the stuff I need IYKWIM!! E.G. I've run out of tinned toms and a few other things, and I'm close to running out of ketchup, so I'll get that too, so I'm not tempted into popping in and then spending more than I need ot.

Night all!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 12:19AM
    Options
    Spent £63 in Mr S and didn't get much so quite disappointed. Had to get dishwasher tablets, coke, washing powder etc and there didn't seem to be any deals on.

Also quite annoyed that I bought a gammon which appeared to be priced as £4 but I was looking at my receipt when I got home and actually got charged £7.50! Wouldn't have got it if I'd known. Anyone know how many meals a gammon (1.4kg) would do for 2 people (with big-ish appetites lol!)

I am guessing that somewhere on the shelf or a sticker it stated £4 then in small print "per kilo". So many times I've nearly been caught out on this. if in doubt now, I doublecheck the price as it is going through the till. Tonight I made hm pizzas, a loaf of bread, hm wedges. Costed the pizzas at:
    Pizza bases(made in bm) 20p
    Tom puree 10p
    Tinned toms 33p
    reduced ham and herbs 20p
    reduced cheese 80p
    So-£1.63 for 8 servings(1/4 of one each) and I know whats in it!
    Once again-tea was about 50p pers serving.
    The bread I made in the bm on a dough programme and baked in the oven. When it looks cooked on the top I "turn it over" and give it another 10 mins. Stops it ending up doughy and burnt on top and no soggy base. Fancy making a fruit cake tomorrow-was going to do a 12th night cake tonight but didnt get around to it.
    rachelww1 wrote: »
    My cat is fine on l*dl cat food (i think it's called opticat but not sure) both pouches and dried. It's so much cheaper than even the other supermarkets own brands. He seems happy on it. Mind you, he seems happy on birds and mice :rotfl:
    Yes it is Opticat-Ive bought it for mine too who is fussy and it got eaten.(the cat food not the cat:rotfl:
    Oh-when I went to Waitrose tonight I only had £15 with me-didnt even take my purse! controlled spending-damage limitation!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Toodle
    Toodle Posts: 87 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 1:52AM
    Options
    Hi, I know I'm a little late, I've only just come across this, but could I possibly join in with this please? I waste so much food/money per week it's disgusting and I'd love to get on track and some money saved.

So, if it's not too late could I be put down for £50 per week please? I want to get organised and start shopping monthly, or at least fortnightly, but that won't be for a few months yet.

I want to start doing my main shop on a friday when the wages go in, rather than buying things daily from our local convenience store *blush* and sat earlier and went through the cupboards (not a lot in there, double blush) and meal planned for the week. I was quite pleased as it came to £38.58 and that was with toiletries and a load of basic baking stuff, including a set of scales. I realised after the 10pm cut off point that I'd actually forgotten milk, but was quite pleased when I thought about it, as I know it's cheaper at our local convenience store, much to my suprise, and I'm going to town tomorrow on a charity shop bargain hunt so will check out prices there too, as we get through about 6 pints a day and any savings there would make a huge difference.
    Toodles-SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD, Baby #2 on the way!
    Just started comping 02/11/11 Everything crossed!
  • Mothership
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    Here is the recipe as requested:) This is for a 1kg gammon joint.

1kg gammon joint
    zezt and juice of 2 oranges
    4tsp dijon mustard
    200g cranberry sauce, doesn't matter if it is the fruity or smooth type, I have used both

Remove fat from ham and criss-cross skin with a knife to make a diamond pattern before covering with foil and roasting as per the instructions on the packet.

Place the zest of the oranges in a bowl with the cranberry sauce and mustard and add enough orange juice to achieve a runny jam like consistency. I find you don't need all of the juice from both oranges, just add it a bit at a time.

20 minutes before your ham is cooked, remove the foil and spread over the jammy mixture over it. Return to the the oven and baste every now and again until the end of the cooking time.

Slice and serve.:) Nice with mash and green beans.

That sounds absolutely delicious, I've got a joint in the fridge and some bean greens, guess what I'll be doing with it? Thank you so much, I'm so excited with all the lovely recipes I've found on here, going to make lemon curd and a lemon drizzle cake with my bag of lemons next , thats the xmas pudding scones gone and the xmas pudding loaf will be finished tomorrow. I've made a new rule no baking until the previous batch is eaten. Dying to try the lovely recipe for coffee cake (with walnuts).
    The thing I am most pleased with though, is all the things left over from xmas are being used, and also some of the lurkers in my store cupboard. Even some of the least used kitchen equipment is being hauled out and put to work.
    Thanks again, all of you for all the WONDERFUL! ideas and inspiration.

My husband caught me testing all my eggs in a bowl of water. He asked me what on earth I was doing. I told him I wanted to see if they could swim LOL. I was checking to see if they were fresh. Something else I learned on here:)
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Pernicious
    Pernicious Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh I have found my note with the exact amount of food money I have left for this month:- £32.53 :rotfl:

First shop tomorrow, thank god for all the things we have stored in the cupboards/freezer!
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
  • Sunflower1227
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

First big spend of the new year, signature updated - few bits for DD to take back to uni, so spent a bit more than normal.

OH got bread maker this afternoon :j just trying it will let you know how it turns out.

Just taken bread out - OMG :eek: just pinched a corner, it tastes great, OH is going to love it :kisses2:
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just realised that although I declared for December, I didn't post my budget for January on here, so can I please be put down for £130 for this month.

Spent £2.00 on milk on New Year's day, then went for first proper shop on Sunday and spent £27.46 in A*da and Wilkos, (I also bought some washing powder, but it won't be used until at least next month so I will count that when I start using it), and yesterday I needed more milk and cat food so another £9.55 to add there.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport