PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Equilibrium
    Options
    kahunababy wrote: »

I have also started a Christmas book for 2011!!!! I have dedicated a page to each of my DS and started writing down some presents (the ones they get every year i.e PJ's, Sweets, Socks etc). I plan on buying these throughout the year and crossing them off as they are bought. QUOTE]

What a good idea, i think i might try giving that a go :)
    XSpender wrote: »

Egg-free Lemon Sponge

Ingredients:
    • 200g self-raising flour
    • 2tsp baking powder
    • 75g caster sugar
    • 125g margarine
    • 150ml lemon juice
    • Zest of half a lemon
    • 175 ml cold water
    Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Beat the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking powder, holding the sieve high over the bowl. Gently fold in the water, lemon juice and zest. Divide the mixture between two greased and lined sandwich cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and springy. Turn out of the tins and cool before sandwiching together.

That sounds lovely !, I didnt know you could make sponges without eggs :T

Our small chest freezer arrived this morning :T:T weve got to leave it for 24 hrs to settle and freeze, but im already planning what to put in it ! :rotfl:.
    Also had our delivery from the organic box company Abel& Cole, they do some great boxes ( you dont have to have them every week , you decide when :)) and means i can split the cost over a few weeks.:)

Heading to have my first look inside Liddle;) today
    GC spend Jan so far £165.68/ £160 FEB £189 /£170
    MARCH £0/£170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you :)
  • Trim_my_budget
    Options
    Now I have sorted by sealed pot of money now need to sort my weight loss out too! Maybe the money I'm saving on the weight loss will go into my sealed pot!:T going to do a trip round aldi at lunch time to see if I can pick up a few bargains.... nothing in for tea, but found a few goodies in the kitchen cupboard and fridge in garage yesterday when sorting out so sure I can make something for very little!!:D
    Credit card debt £480- interest free until Aug 2014
  • Craftyscholar
    Craftyscholar Posts: 3,403 Forumite
    Options
    MrS - £28.12.
    Did go outside list, but only on 'special offer' stuff - now interleaved and in freezer (just as well I like sausages - didn't realise I still had some left:rotfl:)
    In theory that should do me the rest of the month apart from bread and milk.
    No - that will do me.
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all, spent £26.00 so far, got what was needed and stocked up on some items, 6 loafs of bread 12 tins of beans(special offer from mr T) 4 tubs of marge (half price c*o*), 4 litres of milk. Oh and another box of bicuits (1.25) didnt need them have already got 4 :eek: but they will no doubt be used.
    Slow cooker has been used to make chicken curry 3 chick breasts fed myself 2 teen and 2 little ones and gave what was left to my mate (so a nice cheap filling meal :D).
    Tonight we are having mac cheese (lots and lots of cheese to use up) with bacon threaded through it(bbe today)and garlic bread DD has gone to buy this as DS doesn't want baguettes (sp?), so cost of meal tonight will be £2 :rotfl:(already costed in spend)
  • medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    Well back from the shops and stuck with my list only spent £2.42 at MrS and paid for MY DD's haircut at £19.50 so todays spend is £21.92:eek:. I really must be more organized and get all our hair cut at the same time and have her to do it at home - would save ££.

hopefully a NSD tomorrow as have plenty in to make meals with, might be left over Chilli with baked potatoes, depending who is in for food in the evening!!!

I'm not sure of anyone elses opinions on this but in regards to teabags we always buy MrS basics and they're the ones we like the most, nice and strong and only 28p a box. Slightly off topic with the rest of my post:o, but someone mentioned teabags on offer at the moment in Tesco's.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm going for £260.00 and will finish after shopping on 28th January

Total £13.75 so far

Co-op £3.43
    Co-op £24.91

Total £42.09

This isn't so good, too many bits and bobs, I'm slipping, in as much as I'm not buying enough for the week when I do the weekly shop, so its great that it seems low then, but I end up nipping to Co-op for bits.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mothership wrote: »
    I'm looking for something to make to use them up, any suggestions? I've also got nearly a whole jar of cranberry sauce , that one has me stumped LOL.

I make a coating for roast gammon with a mixture of cranberry sauce, orange zest, orange juice and mustard. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

[QUOTE=Sunflower1227;39955952
    Hi, you could make an egg free sponge, filled with rasps and cover in chocolate and serve with ice cream to make it more scrummy :D
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I never knew you could make a sponge without eggs either. No lemons in the house but I will file it away for another day.:)

P.S. This is my first attempt at multi quoting - hope it works:)

ETA: Sort of worked, but the second quote didn't come out in the nice box like the first
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all...it takes longer everyday to read all the posts on here.

Today is a NSD i hope.

I have just finished making 24 rolls to freeze for pack lunches and a loaf of bread to slice and freeze ready for toast (i have had a bread maker for 10 years now and i wouldn't be without one). I have also made some cheese and courgette scones which i freeze and pop one in my DD's lunch box for her to have at breaktime (as she doesn't eat breakfast due to travel sickness on the school bus)...she loves these and i'd only got one left in the freezer. So it's been a big baking day today.

Tonight i'm going to try this recipe for tikka masala: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-tikka-masala

It's my new years resolution to make a 'nice' curry from scratch as i've always bought jars (hangs head in shame). I tried a different recipe on tues but it wasn't very nice but i have half a can of coconut milk left to use up so i'm going to use this instead of the cream and yoghurt, hope it works ok this time....if it doesn't work i better wait another week before trying again or my family will be 'curried out' lol

Anyway, 18 days until my grocery challenge ends for January...i must be careful
  • groatie_queen
    Options
    Top-up spend of £3.90:

YS ckicken breasts
    YS net of wax free lemons
    Bag of mandarins
    sm carton milk

Had my hair cut for £15 plus £2 tip. New hairdresser and a great cut, half the price of my previous hairdresser and is local so no petrol expenses (previously round trip of 15 miles), so that is a good saving going forward :j:j.

Hair cut comes out of Dec budget thanks to not getting there due to the snow!:rotfl::rotfl:

Cumulative total now £13.69/£60
    If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spend it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.

-- Brendan Francis

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 January 2011 at 2:35PM
    Options
    salski wrote: »
    Yeah major fail! We went shopping late on - bought a few whoopsie butties for dinner today and ended up spending the remainder of this weeks budget! I got all stuff on my list as well as the whoopsies, and left with a fiver!

So Salski - this week £65/£70 - major fail!

Its not a fail, you still have a fiver left! and if you've got everything on your list there might be not much more to spend this week? Be positive!! :D
    XSpender wrote: »
    ... P.S. This is my first attempt at multi quoting - hope it works:)

ETA: Sort of worked, but the second quote didn't come out in the nice box like the first

if you put a ] at the end of [QUOTE=Sunflower1227;39955952
    it should correct it (needs open and close square brackets at each end of a quote IYSWIM) ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family