Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.6K views

Replies

• Hi there Pink

Count me in £400..family of 5 ...2 parents 3 growing teenagers 15,17,19.

Really looking forward to getting back into a routine. I dont know about anyone else but Dec was such an upside down month. I think we all can go a little bit food crazy before Christmas but at least what I haven't used is in the freezer.

Happy New Year to all:beer:
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 posts
    eBayQueen wrote: »
    I think we all can go a little bit food crazy before Christmas but at least what I haven't used is in the freezer.

Happy New Year to all:beer:

Totally agree on that ebayqueen, our freezer is still pretty full so should be able to live off what's in there for a good couple of weeks at least ! And there was me thinking I hadn't bought as much as I did last year :o :rotfl:
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • SuziQ1962 wrote: »
    Hi can I join in too please Sign me up for £300 for January -aiming to spend £60/week for 6 of us including packed lunches-is this realistic?

Hi there

Its not unrealistic if you cook from scratch and meal plan. Do you have alot in your freezer and store cupboard?
    All the best and keep us informed how you are getting on. You will get great tips here.:)
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • majjak wrote: »
    Totally agree on that ebayqueen, our freezer is still pretty full so should be able to live off what's in there for a good couple of weeks at least ! And there was me thinking I hadn't bought as much as I did last year :o :rotfl:

I know ...I am ashamed at all the food that I have. Eldest heading back to uni soon so he will prob clear out some of it too!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cant wait to get started!!!!!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 1 January 2011 at 12:30AM
    angelatgracelandangelatgraceland Forumite
    3.3K posts
    edited 1 January 2011 at 12:30AM
    Still havent totalled up total spend for 2010 but at least Ive not cheated at the start of this month as the big Asda shop on 28th could technically be on January! However-start as I mean to go on-not much of that shop has been used and the cupboards and freezer were already reasonably stock so I thought it would reflect a more accurate figue. I made my chicken soup today from what I boiled off of the carcass pluss some onions(almost free many weeks ago) and half dead carrots and a couple of stock cubes(App foods). Cost me about 10p plus gas! Had 2 servings already and about 4 servings left. Just minced up some onions to make cheese and onion pasties tomorrow-along with the chicken curry we will be having. The pasties will mean the family can just snack as they wish lunchtime. Ive also got a 4 pint rice pud in the oven which Im crossing my fingers on as I had to use half shortgrain rice and half long grain rice(both brown rice). Hopefully it will be edible-the milk runs out of date today tho and I think I still have 4 pints left!
    In as usual tonight and feeling somewhat normal at last!!! That is the best New Year gift I can have is restored health. Unfortunately-no alcohol for another four days!!!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • edited 1 January 2011 at 12:52AM
    helen_jellyhelen_jelly Forumite
    3K posts
    edited 1 January 2011 at 12:52AM
    SuziQ1962 wrote: »
    Hi,me again,anyone know where I can get a list of vat free foodstuffs-I know some are vat free but quite a lot aren't-just thinking that I would rather have the 20% in my purse than in the governments,have done a search on the internet but couldn't get a comprehensive list,Thanks in advance :-D

Hi
    Sorry but I can't remember what forum it was [defo on MSE though] but somewhere on here there is at thread about VAT and Non VAT foods - try a search and hopefully it will come up
    HTH
    Helen

PS the things that I wrote on my list to get before the VAT increase were
    Fizzy Water
    Cereal Bars
    Dishwasher Tabs
    Fabric Conditioner
    Foil
    Cling Film
    Toilet Rolls
    Kitchen Wipes
    Kitchen Roll
    Toothpaste
    Hand Wash
    De-oderant
    Shampoo
    Washing Up Liquid - these are all VAT goods
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Happy New Year everyone - may you all have lots of No Spend Days and always come in under budget

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Hi Everyone!

First post for me... I have been lurking but decided 2011 is defintely the time to make some BIG Changes.

Can you put me down for £4000 annual this is for 2 adults and includes Petrol. I am budgeting £50 per week food shopping and £25 per week for petrol. I am moving back in with my parents in May, so the shopping will change, however I am going to try and stick to this figure rigidly! (I will be buying most of the food back home too).

And for January, can you put me down for £200 this includes food and petrol as I only need to buy fresh bits as I am already stocked up and need to start emptying my freezer!!

Thanks... Good Luck Everyone & Happy New Year!

S xx

:mad: Lightbulb Moment 1/1/11 - Total Debt £28,000 :mad:
    GC 2011 £132..32/£4000 - GC Jan £132.32/£200 - £365 in 365 Days £8/£365 - Make £5 a Day £136.15/£155 - NSDs in Jan 7/15
    Loan £14,000 - OD1 £3,800 - OD2 £1200 - B'card £3,500 - H'fax CC £3,400 - Aqua CC £1,000 - Catalogue £1,100
  • muffin_man_7muffin_man_7 Forumite
    754 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    happy new year to all:)
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year