Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 193

New Post Advanced Search

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.3K views

Replies

• Welcome jovi!

It's not an NSD for me, we need some bedsheets and I am off to the closest outlet. 10 days to go and I think I will do this GC! Yaaay! Not meeting the NSD, I put my target too high.

My bread yesterday was awful. OH had some with butter, but still... it was not fluffy, too dense and greyish inside instead of white. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Maybe it needed to be worked more?

I was looking in Supersavvyme and there are some offers out there:

1. Spend £10 and get a £5 voucher for next purchase with always, Ariel (Stain remover), Bold 2in1, Fairy, Febreeze, Flash, Herbal Essences, Lenor, Nice'n easy, Pampers, Pantene, Tampax (... I wonder... I could but the nice'n easy hair dye with Boots points... then claim the £5 voucher!!)

2. £1 off coupon for Pringles multigrain

3. £1 off coupon for IAMS food

4. Sample of Olay and competitions

5. Coupons for Head & Shoulders, Fairy All in One, Ariel Powder, Ariel Gel, Ariel Liquitabs, Duracel rechargables, Lenor fabric softener and Oral B refill. Only one per member per month, if I recall right.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mothership, your chinese stir fry recipe is in the index, thank you :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Morning everyone!

Just been to the fridge to get some milk for my cereal and im concerned by how empty it looks...im theory I have enough food to last the rest of the month- ive planned and everything...but it really doesnt look like it! I keep finding little bits I forgot to buy too, but I still have £35ish left of my budget so I think itll be ok!

Ive saved getting on for £200 this month on groceries alone, DH is very impressed! We are off to Ikea tomorrow to buy a better storage thing for the lounge, all the kids toys are in baskets and on a bookshelf (if theyre not all over the floor or just thrown in that general direction lol) and it drives me mad, hopefully this is going to work much better...but we would never have been able to afford it if I hadnt saved that much on this challenge, so thanks everyone for all your help/ hints/ encouragement!
    January grocery challenge- £338.09/£350
    £365 in 365 days- £25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- £16.89
  • edited 21 January 2011 at 11:44AM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January 2011 at 11:44AM
    martafdz wrote: »
    My bread yesterday was awful. OH had some with butter, but still... it was not fluffy, too dense and greyish inside instead of white. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Maybe it needed to be worked more?

your recipe didn't mention kneading the dough?

I make bread and I always I knead it for a few minutes or so, unless doing the no-knead bread which needs to stand for a few hours (18 hours I think); when bread dough is first mixed it feels grainy, but after a few minutes kneading it becomes smooth and 'elastic'

one of our best bread making threads is Thriftlady's Adventures with Bread Dough; we also have the Complete Breadmaking Collection and of course we have bread recipes in the front page index ;)

• rosieben wrote: »
    your recipe didn't mention kneading the dough?

I make bread and I always I knead it for a few minutes or so, unless you're doing the no-knead bread which needs to stand for a few hours; when bread dough is first mixed it feels grainy, but after a few minutes kneading it becomes smooth and 'elastic'

one of our best bread making threads is Thriftlady's Adventures with Bread Dough; we also have the Complete Breadmaking Collection
    and of course we have bread recipes in the front page index ;)

Oh, thank you!!! I did knead it for a few minutes... maybe not enough!! :o I will read those threads and see what went wrong. I enjoyed the experience, I now want to enjoy the result lol!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • edited 21 January 2011 at 11:14AM
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January 2011 at 11:14AM
    I think its a case of trying recipes until you find one that works for you; there's a recipe here somewhere for soft white rolls which is absolutely the best bread I've ever made - recipe here at danlepard

and I can recommend D&DD's apple braid recipe, I've also made a savoury version with cheese and onion filling - its post #14 in the Adventures thread

• edited 21 January 2011 at 11:12AM
    OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    edited 21 January 2011 at 11:12AM
    Week 2 of our challenge starts today (21/1/11), but as I have to wait in today for post I did the shop yesterday PM, spending ~£18 in Lidl and ~£2 in Tesco.
    Sig updated.

ETA Post was coming at 3, then 12 ish, today 10am so it seems I don't have to wait in after all then. Was expecting a package from mum, never mind!
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • skillyskilly Forumite
    902 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    morning all ,going to make a carrot can anyone tell me if this carrot cake recipe looks any good ? the person i am making this for loves carrot cake ,also should i go for low fat or kill them with calories :rotfl: Ingredients

4Cupflour4Cupsugar2Teaspoonbaking powder2Teaspoonbaking soda2Teaspoonsalt2Teaspooncinnamon2Cupsalad oil (or 1 cup oil, 1 cup applesauce)8 eggs1Cupbroken walnuts6Cupcarrots, finely shredded (about 2 pounds)

Instructions

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and lightly flour 2 13-by-9 inch sheet cake pans (or 4 9-by-9 inch square cake pans).
    Using large stand mixer (like Kitchen-Aid brand), combine all dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Add carrots, oil (or oil and applesauce) and eggs. Beat on low until mixed, then increase mixer speed to medium and beat for two minutes. Spread batter in pans.
    Bake at 325 degrees until the cake centers spring back when touched lightly--about 45 minutes for large pans, 35 to 40 minutes for small pans. Allow cakes to cool in the pan on a cooling rack before frosting with Cream Cheese icing.

Notes

Cream Cheese Icing: Allow 2 3-ounce packages of cream cheese and one (1/2 cup) stick of butter to come to room temperature. Place in mixer bowl, and beat on high speed until combined. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and 4 cups powdered sugar. Beat at medium-high speed until light and fluffy--2 to 4 minutes. Ice tops of cakes only. Sprinkle frosting with chopped walnuts. thanks:)
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue :staradmin
  • JolaaledJolaaled Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    rosieben wrote: »
    and I can recommend D&DD's apple braid recipe, I've also made a savoury version with cheese and onion filling - its post #14 in the Adventures thread

Rosie...how to you make the cheese and onion filling...do you fry the onion first...grate the cheese????

THANKS
  • edited 21 January 2011 at 11:46AM
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January 2011 at 11:46AM
    yes I grate the cheese, chop the onions and mix them up, you could fry the onions to soften them a little if you wanted to ;)

D&DD's original posting of Apple braid is here in post #42; the thread is well worth a read and there are loads of good recipes ;)

eta skilly - that carrot cake sounds lush!