Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 190

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.6K views

Replies

• Hi All,

Fist months Grocery Challenge!! DONE!!
    yippeee!
    I spent £159.08 this month on my food shops, this is 20th to 20th so includes Xmas - I am dead chuffed with myself:T

I didn't use this tread much to give me ideas as this was my first month I just signed up and did my best with downgrading and planning as I could to see what I could achive. So now i'm going to take the next couple of days to read through the whole thread ready to set myself my Feb 11 target, If I can stay under £170 with no help, imagine how much I can save with a little bit of knowledge from you lovely lot!!

See you all in Feb!!

xxx
    March GC £0/£150 - March NSD 0/24- £2 Savers Club #34
    Loan ~ £673.42/£9770.79 Credit Card @ 0% to Sep '11 ~ £487.18/£4627.79
    [STRIKE]Credit Card 2 ~ £270/£270[/STRIKE] :dance:Overdraft ~ £0/£350
    --->Start date 19Dec10 Target date 1Jul12<---
  • £3 spend for us today have updated signature. Ran out of milk & bought bacon for lunch tomorrow for my day off :)

One more shop before our Jan month budget is up.. . will see how we come in tomorrow.... running a little low on my stores
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kezlou, I've added your feta and potato patties recipe to the index, thank you :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 posts
    minnie2 soory to hear you have a funeral to attend sending you condolences and i hope you find something suitable to wear.
    wssla00 wrote: »
    Minnie2 sending you my thoughts- funerals are so difficult!

thank you!! he will be greatly missed!! and only made it to his teenage years!!

am going to tackle the outfit at weekend!! too much else to sort!!! had to do my car tax today!!! boo hoo!! only put 6months on usuaully do a year coz its cheaper - but havent got the money!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    513 posts
    scotsaver wrote: »
    minnie2 - sending you some virtual hugs.:grouphug:

toddles* - enjoy your Holiday.;)

Popped to MrM's earlier, only wanted a Joint of Pork that they have on offer and I've spent over £16 as I also bought a Gammon Hock, some more ICBINB that's still on offer, some salad, veg and sandwich fillers as I have a friend coming over for Lunch tomorrow. Anyway, I've added it to my total so just under £30 to last me another 6 days so should be ok.:o

The Pork joint and the Hock have gone in the Freezer for next weeks meal plan.

Dinner tonight is a new recipe I've not tried before, going to attempt to make some Veg Burgers and I thought I'd serve it with cheese & Potato bake everyone's been talking about and a HM tomato salsa. A meat free night tonight which I'm hoping to make more a regular thing.:)

Have a good day everyone.:D
    Ilona wrote: »
    Oh dear, Minnie, please keep up with it, it WILL be worth it in the end. Concentrate on your long term goals, not your short term fix. Comfort spending is the same as comfort eating, you feel good as it goes down, but crap a few hours later. Keep your chin up. :kisses3:
    Ilona
    minnie2 sending you a big hug, i think you need one. praise yourself for your successes and dont knock yourself out for any slipups. you have done brilliantly with NSDs and you may have set your budget a little tight over a couple of months things can work themselves out January is always a rotten month.

thank you all!!!! sending you all hugs too!!! feel slightly better today - but not much! had a good cry while organising lifts to the funeral for people - lovely memories!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    513 posts
    Please please - we do not fail, we look at what we've done, we learn and we move on - everything we do is a "learn" for us - never ever a fail, this is a challenge - long term - we will never get it right the first, second or third time. Minnie2 - you are doing so well, you are looking at what you spend and learning about your shopping habits, it took a while to get it wrong so it will take a while to get it right, please be proud of what you have done so far, you are getting it right, right, right. Take a big breath and start again. I get it wrong nearly every month but always start again, so do lots of other people on here!! We are always here to listen and help, use us as your sounding board and keep on trying - lots of hugs, Helen x

thank you!! am feeling slightly better today!!! i felt so awful yesterday!!!!!!!!!!! hope i dont have many of those days!!!!
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi All

I didn't realize how much carrots I had cut up until I looked at the pan!!! Is it possible to freeze swede and carrot mash? I'm thinking it will be possible, but will it end up really watery when defrosted?

Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • Final shop of the month (bread, milk, toilet roll and other personal toiletry bits and bobs ) total spend £16.41 so now over budget with ten days to go. I am happy with this amount as its my first month on the challenge and before I was spending £100 plus a week so £260 is a lot less for 4 and a bit weeks. I know I can do better and next month will be more of a challenge so I will be keeping tabs on this thread to keep me motivated. sig updated.
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • IlonaIlona Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No spend day today. I've been keeping busy, not been out of the village, best way for me to not spend.

I made a strange kind of dip for lunch. :cool: Tin of chickpeas, spinach, dash of oil and vinegar, garlic powder. Whizz it all up in a jug. I thought it might taste better if it was warmed so I spread it on an oatcake rolled it up and microwaved it. Made two, tasted fine. Mind you, whatever it tasted like I would have eaten it, I don't throw food away. :D

Dinner is steamed veg, cheap from Tes&co, with a couple of spoons of plain yogurt on top.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • edited 20 January 2011 at 8:30PM
    kahunababykahunababy Forumite
    167 posts
    edited 20 January 2011 at 8:30PM
    NickJW wrote: »
    Hi All

I didn't realize how much carrots I had cut up until I looked at the pan!!! Is it possible to freeze swede and carrot mash? I'm thinking it will be possible, but will it end up really watery when defrosted?

Hi,

At xmas we had loads and loads of carrot & swede mash left. I froze it in bags of smaller portions and so far we have already eaten 3 portions (kids love it) I just defrost overnight then warm in the microwave. Just pop it in a bowl with some cling film over it (pierced) and I heat for 1min at a time stirring in between till steaming hot. HTH

Also didn't go watery at all!
    Just little old me!