e Mail using my own domain name - help ?

I've got my own domain name which I use for business and customers use various e mail address's eg sale@bloggs.co.uk, accounts@bloggs.co.uk
The webhosting / e mail forwarding was being done by a mate and he was using an outfit called bargain host to host mine (holding page no website) and about another 3 domains. He's recently packed this in so I need to find someone that can forward my e mail. The company I use to register my domain UKreg want about £3.99 plus VAT per month to host/forward mail - is this OK any suggestions ?

Comments

• I use them for free email forwarding :confused:
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    If you only have a domain name to have a good email address then move your domain name to (or get another one with):-

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order

And use their free email forwarding and forward it to either googlemail or yahoo as both these support POP3 and SMTP so you could access your email via webmail or outlook (personally I recommend googlemail though) and have a professional looking email address.

1&1 charge £4.68 for a two year .uk domain, or you could use https://www.123-reg.co.uk but they charge just over £6 for a 2 year .uk domain.

If you want do actually host as well then I'm not sure as I use my ISP's webspace and just redirect (within a hidden frame) my domain name to my ISP's webspace which obviously doesn't cost anything but I have unlimited free email forwarding with however many email address I choose.

UK Reg want slightly more than 123-reg for a two year uk domain.

The cheapest by far then is 1&1 from what I'm aware.
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    I use them for free email forwarding :confused:

Many thanks yes I've just worked out how to do it for free with them
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    bbb_uk wrote:
    If you only have a domain name to have a good email address then move your domain name to (or get another one with):-

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order

And use their free email forwarding and forward it to either googlemail or yahoo as both these support POP3 and SMTP so you could access your email via webmail or outlook (personally I recommend googlemail though) and have a professional looking email address.

1&1 charge £4.68 for a two year .uk domain, or you could use https://www.123-reg.co.uk but they charge just over £6 for a 2 year .uk domain.

If you want do actually host as well then I'm not sure as I use my ISP's webspace and just redirect (within a hidden frame) my domain name to my ISP's webspace which obviously doesn't cost anything but I have unlimited free email forwarding with however many email address I choose.

UK Reg want slightly more than 123-reg for a two year uk domain.

The cheapest by far then is 1&1 from what I'm aware.

Thanks thats given me food for thought
  • tillson
    tillson Posts: 167 Forumite
    I use Strato hosting and have found them to be ver helpfull and reliable. They also have IMAP servers. I think their service is about £6 year
  • greyster
    greyster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    try google for your domain (TM), basically lets you use your domain using their gmail interface.

https://www.google.com/a/

You have to apply for it, I got mine within a week. This is a free service to those who sign up now while in beta. They may charge those who sign up at a later date.
  • clayts
    clayts Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Post
    greyster wrote:
    try google for your domain (TM), basically lets you use your domain using their gmail interface.

https://www.google.com/a/

You have to apply for it, I got mine within a week. This is a free service to those who sign up now while in beta. They may charge those who sign up at a later date.

Make sure you tick the box to state that you are responsible for IT purchasing decisions - I didn't tick it and got refused by e-mail almost immediately ;)
  • stamford wrote:
    Many thanks yes I've just worked out how to do it for free with them

I don't have a website for my domain name so I don't have "hosting" anywhere but bought the domain name through UKreg and use their free email forwarding for up to 50 email addresses, never had any problems with it :)
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    As the price stated by the OP is only a few pound more dearer than 1&1 (currently the cheapest I think) then it may be best to stick with them to save all the messing.

I forward my emails from my domain name to googlemail and not a permanent ISP email address so I'm not dependant on sticking with that ISP. As Googlemail (and Yahoo both) allow POP/SMTP access remotely then I've setup Outlook to access Googlemail but instead of Outlook having the email address of my googlemail, it has the email address of my domain which gives the impression that when I send emails via Outlook that they're actually coming from my domain name and that's where the replies are then sent back to.

I don't actually have hosting with 123-reg (my domain supplier) as that costs a lot more but instead I just forward any traffic going to my domain name to my ISP webspace. This is done invisibally (kind of) as it still displays my domain name in the URL bar of the browser even though it gets redirected to my ISP webspace (which would ordinary have a very long URL).

All this from using just the domain name and not paying for anything else like hosting, etc.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    The good thing about 1&1 is it works via IMAP which keeps your messages on there server (until you delete them) , most emails are deleted when they are downloaded to outlook , it also means you can access you email while away using the 1&1 webmail

If you are registering a domain name through 1&1 do that first then they offer you 6 months free email hosting :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure